We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lap top wifi connection problem

jerica

Likes # 0

Hi, good one for you all. My grandaugther has just been bought a laptop for her birthday and while she was at our house we connected it to our wifi by entering the number and letter code and she got straight in. When she got home she tried to enter the number and letter code for the wifi at her house and while it would let her enter the numbers it will not let her enter the letters. Does anyone know what is going on? Thanks for any help.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Her Wireless may not be turned on in the Router. Does it work ok with Ethernet wire connection?

Like this post
jerica

Likes # 0

Not sure, I will find out, thanks.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If still no joy, make and model of router will help with further suggestions.

Like this post
jerica

Likes # 0

Hi again, still no joy, tried to connect my phone and it connected straight away so it must be the laptop but as I said it connects elsewhere so I do not understand what is happening. The router is from Talk Talk and has the number DSL2608BTTS A1E written on it. Is that helpful?

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Once again,have you tried connecting wired?If so,have you turned on the wireless on laptop?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe try services and scroll down to WLAN and make sure it is set to automatic.

Or go into device manager.network adapters.make sure there is a wireless adapter on there.Check for yellow exclamation marks whilst in there.

Right click the connection on the taskbar and click on Open network and sharing center.

Connections should show as wireless connection.If not go into change adapter settings and make sure that the wireless connection does not have a red X on it.

Like this post
jerica

Likes # 0

Still no joy, it's very strange that it will work elsewhere but not at home, other wireless equipment works well there but not this laptop.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Has somebody gone into the router in the setup and accidentley refused permission for the laptop to join the network.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks