We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External hard drive wont connect

redout

Likes # 0

Hi i have a Western Digital 1tg external hard drive, its been working great but the other day i plugged it in and nothing came up when i went into my computer ? i tried it on my lap top same thing, iv just tried it again and this time it made be " B-BONG" noise you get when you plug in a devise but when i went to my computer there was nothing in there at all, all i have is the little blue sercal by the arrow and now all the icons have gone on my desk top and at the bottom of the screen to ? i tried plugging into the tv , it seemed to work, i highlighted a film film and the tv went out and came back on , it did it 3 times ? i plugged it into my blu ray player i get a message saying usb devise not recognised ? im so stuck with this, thank you for any help you have running vista.

also, iv just seen that when i start up my pc with hard drive connected my pc doesn't like it, very long start up screen stays black and loose all my icons on the desk top, takes a good 15/20 mins to start to work ?

Like this post
redout

Likes # 0

Ok, im back after a lot of playing with my ( now 2 ) external hard-drives, one has " the click of death " iv tried the freezer trick, no luck there i'm toying with the idea of switching the circuit boards ( worth a try ? ) My other hard drive the one iv posted about has still got me confused, when i plug it into my home pc ( vista ) you get the bing bong to let you know its connected but it doesn't appear on my computer, and my pc reacts badly, it slows down and i can open some programs, but, when i put it on my lap top ( window 7 ) you get the bing bong then after 30 seconds or so it pops up in my computer, there is no blue bar next to it to show how much is stored in there like my other drives but there it is, now if i click on it to open it the i get the blue spinning circle and that's all, it just keeps spinning and wont open, same prob with right clicking over it and trying to open it. Iv downloaded a number of recovery programs and i have the same problem, non of them pick up on the drive until i unplug it ? then for a quick second it flashes up then go's ? this happens on every program. I tried "Slax" as recommended but have had a lot of problems installing it when it comes to unzipping the file. I'm running out of hart and ideas on this, any more tips or advise will be very much appreciated and thank to all how have replied so far.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I tried "Slax" as recommended but have had a lot of problems installing it when it comes to unzipping the file.

You shouldn't be installing it but you should be downloading and burning an iso file to CD.

Reboot the PC with the Slax CD in the drive and slax will run direct from the CD just putting some temporary files in memory as it boots up.

Like this post
redout

Likes # 0

brilliant thanks, ill give that a go

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Your Computer Slows down because its trying to read the Corrupt External Drive

Like this post
redout

Likes # 0

OK i have the slax on disk, iv restarted both PCs vista & win7 and they both start up without running the CD ? iv tried looking online for reasons why but i'm not having any luck ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You need to go into the BIOS s it boots (Del Esc F2 typal keys to enter BIOS /setup)

and set first boot device to CD.

Save and exit (F10)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen