We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External hard drive wont connect

redout

Likes # 0

Hi i have a Western Digital 1tg external hard drive, its been working great but the other day i plugged it in and nothing came up when i went into my computer ? i tried it on my lap top same thing, iv just tried it again and this time it made be " B-BONG" noise you get when you plug in a devise but when i went to my computer there was nothing in there at all, all i have is the little blue sercal by the arrow and now all the icons have gone on my desk top and at the bottom of the screen to ? i tried plugging into the tv , it seemed to work, i highlighted a film film and the tv went out and came back on , it did it 3 times ? i plugged it into my blu ray player i get a message saying usb devise not recognised ? im so stuck with this, thank you for any help you have running vista.

also, iv just seen that when i start up my pc with hard drive connected my pc doesn't like it, very long start up screen stays black and loose all my icons on the desk top, takes a good 15/20 mins to start to work ?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Sounds as if the drive has failed. The fact that you are failing to get any indication on two machines is also an indicator.

You could try opening the caddy up and checking connections and even using a dock for the bare drive to confirm this.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Plug in

if it Bongs then that's Device manager finding the USB adaptor.

Next look in disk manager to find the drive report back what disk management says about the drive (DO NOT FORMAT THE DRIVE).

If possible see if you can run dskchk on the drive this may recover the file structure.

Like this post
redout

Likes # 0

thanks fruit bat ill try that, how do i go about finding disk manager and also how do i run dskchk ? thanks again for your help

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What op system XP Vista or W7?

Vista and W7

1.Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.

2.Click on the System and Maintenance link.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Just double-click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.

1. In the System and Maintenance window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.

2. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.

3. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left.

4. Disk Management should appear on the right side of the Computer Management window after just a few seconds of loading.

Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of Storage.

XP

Right click My Computer on the desktop

select manage from the menu

scroll down to storage and click to expand

click on disk management

In disk management right click on the drive and select properties - tools to run disk checking

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My guess is that the Index file on the drive is corrupt, may be you pulled the USB while it was writing to the drive

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS you could try another USB cable

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Only other thing I can think is that the Caddy Electronics have stopped working, that means taking the drive out of the caddy and install it in a new one or connect direct to a desktop

Like this post
redout

Likes # 0

I went into computer management , my hard drive cam up it says " not initialized " & Unallocated . What do you think I should do next ? Thanks again for the help

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its as I said above Corrupt, You may be able to get some files and photos back by using the correct software to do it, before reformat the drive

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Easiest way to recover files from a drive showing not initialised is to

boot your machine from a live linux CD which will probably be able to read your external drive

you can then copy the files from the drive to somewhere else

boot into windows and initial and format the drive then copy the files back onto it.

I use Slax as its a nice easy linux system to use http://www.slax.org/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)