We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fitting sound card...is this right?

edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

It has been determined that the sound card which is built into the mother board has died and I need to fit a sound card.

My PC is about three years old, Ime not sure what type of sound card I need to get to fit the sockets in my mother board, I know the name PCI sound card from somewhere??

I understand I have to go into the bios and deselect the on board sound card, I think I can do that.

Then I understand that the PC will automaticaly find the new sound card when it reboots.

A few pointers would be welcome. I dont need a fancy audio sound card, something basic will sound great after the distorted sound I have been putting up with.

Thank you

Richard

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you post your motherboard model number, suggestions can then be made.

The number should be printed on the board somewhere. It will look something like: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

Or if you have SIW or similar system information program you can look in there for the mobo model.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

This is what SIW tells me:

Property Value Manufacturer ASUSTek Computer Inc. Model P4P800-MX Version Rev 1.xx Serial Number MB-1234567890

Hows that?

Richard

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I am now running with USB Sound. Just plug it into a spare USB Port and plug your Speakers or Mike in.

Can be had for less than a Tenner (£10.00) on eBay.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If this is it: http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/IntelSocket478/P4P800MX/#specifications

It has 3 ordinary PCI Expansion Slots (the long white slots) so any ordinary PCI sound card will fit.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Thank you for your suggestions.

So USB or a sound card.

Richard

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

My link to picture and specs above didn't work so here it is again ClickHere It is the pca formatting that turns any text between two _'s into italics...

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Amazon's stuff

USB is so cheap and you do not need to open the Case. Buy one and if you don't like it, bin it and get a card

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...