We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

internet freezes & cannot access

baldyx

Likes # 0

Even when I have activated one web site, under the Task manager shows more than one iexplore.exe *32 processes and pc freezes and cannot access anything on the pc until I terminate the internet processes using 'end task' of the task manager. Eventhen the problem comes back after a while.

Any ides please what can I do to resolve this?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Op system and browser?

perhaps a repair of the browser or op system or both is needed to replace corrupt files.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

baldyx, unfortunately there are lots of potential causes for that problem such as corrupt temporary Internet files, malware infections, or malfunctioning third-party browser add-ons. You've mentioned the process iexplore.exe *32 as being the culprit so I'm assuming from now on that you're using Internet Explorer and the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or perhaps Vista.

To deal with the first two, try this:

Go into Internet Options, and in the "Browsing" section, click the "Delete" button, make sure that only "Temporary Internet Files" is ticked then click the second "Delete" button.

When you've done that, go here, download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (if you don't already have it), install it, update it, run a "Quick Scan" and remove everything it finds. Note that if you're prompted to start a free trial of the MBAM Pro version then you can decline their invitation.

Like this post
baldyx

Likes # 0

I use Windows 7 & IE9 on a Dell desktop.

As suggested by Secret-Squirrel,have scanned pc using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which highlighted few registry entries & files all pointing to PUP.Funmoods which have been removed.

I will have to monitor now if problem resurfaces and report .

Thanks for your help.

p.s. Earlier i forgot to mention that when I end one Iexplorer.exe process in Task manager ,all the other Iexplorer.exe processes are also terminated.

Like this post
baldyx

Likes # 0

The problem has not been resolved. The internet freezes the pc so I have to terminate the iexplorer.exe processes.

I want to uninstall IE9 but cannot see it under the Control programs.

How can I re-install IE9 hoping that will resolve the problem else may have to use other browsers,Google chrome? perhaps.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

There's a way to tell if IE itself is broken or whether it's being affected by a rogue add-on and that's to use the "No Add-ons" version of IE for a while. In case you don't know what an add-on is then it's a small program that adds extra functionality to IE. Adobe Flash is an example of an add-on you may have heard of.

If you're keen to troubleshoot this then you'll find that special version of IE via the Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). Use it for a while and report back your findings and we can take it from there. Note that some webpages may not display properly because all add-ons have been disabled.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

iexplore.exe will show 2 entries in taskmanager .That is normal.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Or run the fix it on this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

or try Tools internet Options.Advanced .And press restore advanced settings.

Try using Firefox and see if you get the same problem.

or try command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns it should tell you that the dns cache has been flushed.

Like this post
baldyx

Likes # 0

I think I may have found the reason for this problem.

Each time a message pops up from Nectar under the toolbar informing that so many searches done by Nectar Search will earn points, the system freezes.

I have disabled the 'Nectar Search Toolbar' and hope that message will not pop up . Or is there another sure way of not getting that message?

I will monitor this situation and report back.

Like this post
baldyx

Likes # 0

THe problem has not resurfaced so has been resolved.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......