We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

canon scanner suddenly stopped working

palinka
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a Canon canoscan Lide 100 - had it since 20O9 & used regularly and frequently since then. Afew days ago I suddenly I got error message that it was "not installed properly". As far as I know I had not changed anything, nor installed or uninstalled anything that would affect it. Same OS throughout (Vista) & same Pc throughout. I've now re-installed it using the original disk, and tho on completion the message says " ready for use" or words to that effect, when I try to use it I get the same error message as before about "not installed properly".

Any suggestions , please. One day all was Ok, the next it doesn't work at all.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

May be bad files / re entries not getting uninstalled properly

Uninstall it again

reinstall using something like REVO uninstaller

uninstall again using REvo

then reinstall and retry

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

To add to Fruit Bat's reply, which would have been my response anyway.

Possible try using it on a different USB Port, preferably one with an External Power Source.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I found this on the Canon support site and this Click Here which reminds you that you cannot install the driver while the scanner is plugged in or else it will not work.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

thanks everyone, for those helpful ideas; I'll have a go tomorrow. And thanks Chubtor for the point aboutnot having the scanner plugged in ;I'd begun to wonder about that & had already decided t0 unplug before I attempted any further installing/uninstalling, etc, etc.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

Another week of my life spent on this problem! And still it isn’t working. I’ve followed the advice given by everyone in this forum: I’ve uninstalled, re-installed, restarted, etc, etc and at the end when it says “your scanner is ready to use” ( or whatever the exact words are) , when I try to use the scanner I get the same error message as previously: “MP Navigator EX is not installed properly. Reinstall it & then retry.”

I don’t want to buy a new scanner - this one is only 3 years old; it does exactly what I need (I chose it after careful comparisons with others) and there seems to be no reason for this sudden failure – but one day it was OK and the next it wasn’t. Any more advice/suggestions, please?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

This does seem to be a common problem Click Here and I can offer no further suggestions but to read through the replies on this link and maybe Google for MP Navigator EX is not installed properly. Reinstall it & then retry as I did.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

thanks for that Chub_tor. I'll do as you suggest.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

I have solved the problem –I went to the Canon site; clicked “Support” (or something like that) and after hunting through various lists I found a new software download that was appropriate for Windows Vista 32 (which is my system). I downloaded that & installed it- a simple process.

I very soon knew things were Ok because the scanner started to make it’s usual waking up noise. I’ve now done a test scan & everything is fine.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

Except that it isn't OK ! TEst scan was Ok but anything else produces same error message as before.

Even downloading different software makes no difference.

I've now emailed canon support. Meanwhile I'll try a search with Google, as Chub tor suggested.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

Google search produced something that I could not use as I didn't see what the writer of the advice saw! So I returned to Canon website to download the software again. It was impossible to work out exactly what I’d downloaded the first time so I chose something fairly much at random (8800 Fust1300ea24.exe in case it’s helpful to anyone!) and when that offered a list of several items I downloaded 2 of them & installed both. And now everything is as it always was - and I’ve taken the opportunity to delete some saved stuff that I no longer needed. So it's now fixed - at last ; and have used it several times – just to be sure. Sorry I can’t provide any more precise advice/info; it was all very hit& miss. Thank you everyone.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded