We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lost 'Sounds' on desktop.

Furkin

Likes # 0

Asus M5 + Phenom IIx2 + 4gb ram + Nvidea GT430 + Win 7 ult 32.bit

Hi all,
I’ve lost all the Sounds on my desktop computer.
Up till Wednesday I was using external speakers plugged into the Lime green Line-Out socket of the M.board, along with a Hanns-G DVI monitor. I then took delivery of a LG ISP234V monitor – with speakers (I think - thats what it states on Scan's website).

I eagerly used the new HDMI cable in my new GT430 card, to connect my new monitor. As I was setting it up, I couldn’t make any sounds. The monitor Menu states that it will only produce sounds if connected by HDMI.
After a day of trying all sorts – to no avail – I emailed Scan (supplier) for advice. So far none has been received.

Thinking that the Speaker socket on the monitor was a 'loop-through', I ended up plugging my external speakers into it. In the Menu, I turned the volume to 75% = Nothing.

Disheartened, I plugged them back into the ‘lime green’ Line-Out socket of the M.board,,,, but now - nothing there either ! What was there has now vanished.

I have looked in C.P > SOUNDS, and tried adjusting all sorts of settings. I have tried all sorts of settings associated with the Volume control on the task bar – all to no avail.

At certain points, I get the speakers to ‘Test’ [ ta da daa (L) ta da daa (R) ] but nothing else. They won’t ‘Test’ in other places. At one point within these settings, I see LG IPS234v, so it is recognised.

I have tried 2 new HDMI cables.

1/ Does anyone know this monitor ? Should it have speakers ?

2/ Is there a correct way to set up Sounds ? There seems to be 3 or 4 different places, so I guess it should be done in the right sequence ?

3/ If this has to go back, is there a similar monitor that I could consider: 24” + hopefully ISP (but not that bothered now) + speakers ?

Thanks for reading

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

You configure the audio output options via Control Panel -> Sounds -> "Playback" tab - see here for an example. Setting the HDMI option as the default should be all that's required.

I couldn't find anything on the LG website that says your model (IPS234V) has speakers. I did however see that it's got a headphone-out socket so perhaps that's all it has for audio. Do you see any evidence of speakers such as two grilles on the back? Is there a volume option in the monitor's settings menu?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

You configure the audio output options via Control Panel -> Sounds -> "Playback" tab - see here for an example. Setting the HDMI option as the default should be all that's required.

I couldn't find anything on the LG website that says your model (IPS234V) has speakers. I did however see that it's got a headphone-out socket so perhaps that's all it has for audio. Do you see any evidence of speakers such as two grilles on the back? Is there a volume option in the monitor's settings menu?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Similar to my reply I tried to do a few hours ago :)

I can't get the specifications of the LG ISP234V monitor as there are different models. I have a similar setup with an AOC monitor. I've left my speakers connected to the green socket and have a Hdmi cable connected to the monitor. In 'playback devices' I have listed four digital audio devices, three not plugged in and one for 2252w which is the monitor. Setting 2252 as default I get sound from the monitor although it's quiet and not very good as the speakers are small. Setting 'speakers' as default then it goes back to the external speakers. Right click the speaker icon and select playback to see what's happening when you change the default devices while playing a song.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Many thanks S.S:

At least I have my 'normal' sounds back. I was clicking on them in Sounds > Playback, but not making either of them Default [wot a twonk !?].

I can now get sounds from either the Line-in (lime green) on the PC, or the headphone socket on the monitor.

I can't see grills etc for speakers, but this is the first flat screen that I've had with [speakers] so have no idea how big they are, or how they sit in the case.

It came from SCAN Computers (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/23-lg-ips234v-ips-led-monitor-full-hd-dvi-vga-hdmi-1920x1080-250cd-m-5m1-12-ms), where they do list it as with Speakers. I'm trying to de-clutter my desk, so went for that one because of the additional speakers, as well as the Today Only price. Scan will reply at some time, but I'm disappointed that they havn't got back to me since my initial message on wednesday. It would be nice if customers problems were put to the top of the priority list - they've already spent their money with 'em !

As in my O.P, there is a Volume control in the monitor Menu, which I have set at 75. It also says that the adjustment is only applicable, when using HDMI mode.

Thank you for getting my normal sounds back. I sent an email to LG this morning, so they might shed some light on things.

all the best for now.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Sorry Dave – messages crossed in the post ?!

I was also considering an AOC as well, but the LG won it for the Brand name, speakers & Todays price.

My Playback list is:

LG ISP234V (so it is recognised as a sound item)

Speakers

Realtek Digital Output.

Set as LG, I get sounds from the Out jack on the monitor.

Set as Speakers, I get sounds from front/rear Line Out on the PC. I havn’t tried the Realtek yet.

At least I’m up’n’running again. I just need to clarify the ‘speakers included’ point with Scan.

Thanks all

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've had a look at the backs of various LG ISP234V monitors on Amazon and can't see the usual small speaker 'grills' at the back. My AOC has two either side on the back. Possibly speakers need to be connected to the monitor for sound through the HDMI.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

mmmmm,,,, That's what I thought.

A strongly worded line to Scan called for.

Thanks for taking the time to look into it for me.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Are you sure it's not IPS234V? If so is it this one? hope the link works

and there is more info here, click here. if it's the right monitor.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Are you sure it's not IPS234V?"

That's the one we've been discussing all along Dave. I think the OP made a typo in his first post as the LG ISP234V doesn't appear to exist. However later in in the same thread the LG IPS234v is mentioned.

Furkin, here's the LG webpage I mentioned earlier in case you need it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

I'm so sorry guys - I didn't notice the error,,,,, it's all very well me knowing what I'm talking about,,,, but it doesn't help when you give out the wrong info !

I'm sure that all readers would have assumed I meant IPS.

I have already dropped LG a line, but I think it will be superfluous now,,,, although Scan say it comes with speakers,,,, it now looks like it doesn’t. They may well answer – soooon !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow