We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

D-LINK AIR PLUS G wireless adapter not flashing

Hetti

Likes # 0

Had this Dlink Air plus router with an wireless adator set up on with a PC running win Vista, but as the PC had problems I tried it with older XP PC and it worked fine for about 5 weeks but tonight the wireless adaptor on my desk has stopped flashing and I could not access the internet so I decided to try the Vista PC and it works fine on there, while it can get me online I would still like to fix the D Link to work with the older PC again if anyone has any idea as to what is the problem as it is a faster more reliable PC

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

You could try deleting the wireless connection on the XP , connect by ethernet and then try to connect again wirelessly.

Have you updated your XP wireless drivers?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Is the dongle the DWl-G122 which was very popular back in the days of XP? If so, and I still use one for XP machines, your problem is related to using the correct driver. If the XP machine has just had XP Service Pack 3 installed that would explain why it stopped working - D-Link released a new driver to cope with it.

In any event, you need to check on the back to see which hardware "revision" your adapter is. (I suspect it will be C) Follow this link D-Link DWL G122 Drivers and enter the revision to download the correct driver. For revision C there are 3 available. The most likely driver release you need is not the newest but V3.40 but download them all just in case.

Firstly uninstall the current driver and reboot. (Do this every time before trying each driver) Install the new driver and plug in the adapter only when told to do so. I have found that once installed the adapter may not work until another reboot. Always use the Windows Zero Configuration and not the D-Link utility option at the end of the installation routine.

These were very reliable wireless dongles and I must have installed dozens over the years. I have only ever had one that failed completely after several years. As I said I still use one when repairing towers with no wireless connection built in.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Hi all Thanks for the suggestions, the driver V3.40 worked, that was three days ago and ll is fine to date... Thanks again

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Great and thanks for coming back to et us know. Can you tick the Likes "Thumbs Up" next to my thread which will mark it as resolved. It helps others looking for the correct answers.

Like this post
maxon

Likes # 0

Thanks Taff. I'm also facing same problem with my wireless adapter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days