We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Inks From Third Parties.

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

Not sure if this should be in consumer watch or speakers corner or even here, but worth reading this blog.

Printing secrets?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That was interesting. I bought some large bottles of ink about 7/8 years ago when a shop was selling up. Am still using them to refill cartridges that came with Canon MP510, never had a problem so far.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Many years ago i tried re-filling and using remaufactured cartridges on an Epson printer with no luck at all,since then i got got an HP printer again tried compatable cartridges total rubbish,i now stick to makers own brand.Mind you i'm lucky my buisness means i can claim cost back from my employer.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I have been using compatibles in a whole range of printers for the past 10 years and apart from a couple of duds I have had not problem with any of them. I usually buy from Inkredible.

I have attempted refilling but found it messy and inconvenient as I can never seal them as well as the re-manufacturers, consequently they either leak or dry out before I get to use them and I don't have time to do a refill myself when I am in the middle of a print job.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I don't mind using compatibles in my HP as the print heads are in the cartridge so if duff just change the cart but my Epson no because I don't want to risk the print heads with naff ink

Like this post
The Old Mod

Likes # 0

I've only ever owned Epson printers, about six to date and only ever used compatibles with no problems.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

I was very reluctant initially, to use 3rd party stuff, but over the years (many of ‘em) I’ve gradually got used to it. I have never had a problem - nor know anyone else that has.
I’m sure that some brands are great,, and like other things,, some makes a carp !

I also collect the ink from – so called – ‘empty’ cartridges, and inject it into the next one.

But BEWARE: If you are considering doing that to save some bucks - not all brands are compatible.

When I recently added some ink to a new one, it turned the ink into a thick paste, and unusable. Obviously, they don’t all mix well. This was the first time it happened, but I have made a mental note to use ‘like with like’, just to get around the compatibility issue.

Mind you - I would have thought that a very slight modification to the base of the cartridges would enable the user to get 99.9% of the ink, instead of throwing it away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS: Tried posting this yesterday – more problems eh ?

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features