We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

To buy, or not to buy?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon,

Whilst I have used a pc for some years I have never been interested in anything else. However my wife has a laptop, and we have taken it with us on holiday in order to access emails and keep other programmes up to date. I have seen the comments by some people that the Samsung Galaxy is the tablet to have, rather than an iPad, and I am trying to decide if it is worth buying one of these, or not, and I would like to know if what I want can actually be done/catered with.

I better explain, exactly, what I want the unit to do, because I do not think that what I want is possible!! I want to be able to use Excel spreadsheets and write letters in Word and use 3 or 4 other proprietary programmes. The idea that really appeals to me is to have the programmes loaded, but not the data they need. The data would be on a pen drive which could be plugged in, data loaded, used and then saved back onto the pen drive. I see that Amazon allow a ‘free’ app to be downloaded so that books can be downloaded and read, and this is something else I would like to be able to do.

So what I would like to know is if the Samsung Galaxy, or another, will do what I want, and I would be very grateful if anyone could enlighten me, as I have looked at some tablets and have just got more and more confused.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

compumac Sorry but I have to correct my last post, I actually bought Quick Office Pro HD at £12.97. Click Here

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

chub_tor Thanks for that info, I had actually come across that, looked at the comments and I was not entirely convinced. How do you personally rate QuickOffice Pro HD?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

chub_tor Sorry I missed your posting that appeared on page 1. Sounds as you do rate it then?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

compumac yes the app works well for me and I use it a lot when travelling overseas - I've never really got the "cloud" computing thing and prefer installed apps. Bit of a Luddite really.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

chub_tor Thanks for reply. Will download QuickOffice later today.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

wee eddie,

Thank you for your reply, but we seem to be interfering with the conversation between chub_tor and compumac!!

Anyway, I have never had a tablet or such - like an iPad - and am not really interested in them. I do not trust microsoft - or the 'Great Satan' - as I normally call them! And as for using the cloud!!! Well I won't even go down that road!!

I accept that I am a dinosaur, but I will be 69 this week, my mental faculties will be compromised more and more in the future - dementia, or worse - and so I only need a computer - or computers - for a short while. My wife and I hope to go abroad a bit more - whilst we are still capable - so taking a tablet or such seemed like a 'good idea' in order to save space and weight and I thought I would ask for some advice. I will, therefore, be carrying on with what we have done in the past - take her laptop - and with which rdave13 so conclusively agrees. Your comment was much appreciated, though. Thank you.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Housten, sorry if we appeared to hijack your thread but it all started with me answering your question as to whether or not the Samsung Galaxy tablet could work with Word and Excel files. Compumac seems to have had the same question so I gave my opinion and it turned into a "conversation".

As for beeing a 69 year old dinosaur you are a mere stripling on this forum and I for one outrank you by several years. My wife and I also travel a lot and to begin with took a laptop with us, found it heavy and bulky to carry and it needed recharging often so we went to a netbook. Better all round but it still needed a bag to carry it and the bulky charger so at Christmas we bought the tablet and a bluetooth keyboard that also acts as a protective cover, a very small light usb power supply easily slips into a coat pocket along with a couple of adapters and a memory stick and our office is complete.

Personally for travel I would not go back to a laptop or netbook.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

chub_tor,

Many thanks for your reply. Being 'a mere stripling' I was attempting - badly it turned out - to extract the digit from you both!!!

Yes I accept that a tablet is a lot easier and lighter to use but there are - at least - two proprietary programmes that I would really like to continue using whilst abroad. And it seems that as these can not be loaded on to or used by tablets then I am stuck. I know some people say that if I used the 'cloud' it would be possible. Well, dinosaur or not, I like to keep my data with me, not spread it around the world with who knows who having access to it, and I would not know when or if there wa access to it!! So, I will stick with the laptop, and take it and my camera in one package!! [ He said hopefully!! ]

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Housten.

Apologies for the seeming hijacking of your thread but sometimes it something that happens without any intent of irritation.

I would concur with chub_tor in respect of the dinosaur as I remember the dinosaurs arriving during my childhood.

I used to take my laptop on holidays -but now it is my Galaxy Tab 10.1 that goes with me, and with the recommendation of QuckOffice Pro for the Tab I feel that it will be used even more so. It is so much more convenient than a laptop.

As a further point of interest despite having a PC always switched on I find it more convenient around the house to use the Tab for everything except large spreadsheets and the like.

Again - apologies.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Housten I am too long in the tooth to notice if anyone was extracting the digit.

I also do not wish to commit my data to the cloud, I want it where I have total control. Out of interest what are the programmes that you wish to use?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous