We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

To buy, or not to buy?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon,

Whilst I have used a pc for some years I have never been interested in anything else. However my wife has a laptop, and we have taken it with us on holiday in order to access emails and keep other programmes up to date. I have seen the comments by some people that the Samsung Galaxy is the tablet to have, rather than an iPad, and I am trying to decide if it is worth buying one of these, or not, and I would like to know if what I want can actually be done/catered with.

I better explain, exactly, what I want the unit to do, because I do not think that what I want is possible!! I want to be able to use Excel spreadsheets and write letters in Word and use 3 or 4 other proprietary programmes. The idea that really appeals to me is to have the programmes loaded, but not the data they need. The data would be on a pen drive which could be plugged in, data loaded, used and then saved back onto the pen drive. I see that Amazon allow a ‘free’ app to be downloaded so that books can be downloaded and read, and this is something else I would like to be able to do.

So what I would like to know is if the Samsung Galaxy, or another, will do what I want, and I would be very grateful if anyone could enlighten me, as I have looked at some tablets and have just got more and more confused.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Other than Word and Excel!!! I am already in the dementia area.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

And they said Netbooks are old hat, My Samsung Netbook nc10 will do it all, but not be used as a phone. It will run for around 9 hours use

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

woodchip Who said netbooks are old hat? They have their place where large amounts of storage are needed but for portability and battery life a tablet beats them hands down.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Well good afternoon, everyone!!

The programmes I wish to use are, fairly obviously, Excel and Word. But I also need [ ? prefer to have the possibility of use ] of Quicken, for our bank account, and Investor 3 for my shares. The reason that I need to keep an eye on our bank account is that we were with RBS, and our branch was sold to Santander, and yes I am a racially biased bigot and did not want dagoes having control of our money, so we switched to NatWest. We have a current account with a linked deposit account, and the deposit account used to have a reasonable rate of interest. Not now!!!, it only pays 0.1% gross!! So my wife, who already had a Sainsburys account we used for some 'spare' cash, we now use as our deposit account. All the accounts can be accessed electronically and monies can be moved virtually instantaneously, and the Sainsburys account pays 2.6%, not very good but brilliant when compared with other accounts. So our accounts need to be watched so we don't get into the red. So the two holidays we are going on will require me to connect with the UK at least every other day, and I thought a tablet MAY be better in that it would be easier, and smaller, to carry around and I thought connect, using a payg dongle, that everyone seems to rave about. But these dongles use local networks so I will still have to pay the liner and the Maldive authorities for use of their networks, whereas I had thought these dongles used satellites. In the Maldives the charges are $5 for the first minute and $2 there after, so this means a charge of $13 for a 5 minute connection, whereas using a satellite I would hope that they would offer a MB data rate that was reasonable. But this is not to be and I don't see the need to go to the expense of getting a tablet, as I like and wish to continue with my desktop, and I will only be using my wife's laptop in 'shortish' bursts. Just about livable with, and free!!!

Many, many thanks for everyone's comments, as I was hoping to get at lest 3 or 4 replies, not the significant amount that you have all made. A deep felt thank you, from me to everyone.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Quicken is not available for a tablet. Tablets run apps not programs.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As I said you need a Netbook that runs Windows

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Woolwell: iPads & Android Tablets run Apps.

What do you think that the Microsoft W8 Tablet will run?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

In an earlier post I stated that this may change with W8 tablets.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014