We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

To buy, or not to buy?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon,

Whilst I have used a pc for some years I have never been interested in anything else. However my wife has a laptop, and we have taken it with us on holiday in order to access emails and keep other programmes up to date. I have seen the comments by some people that the Samsung Galaxy is the tablet to have, rather than an iPad, and I am trying to decide if it is worth buying one of these, or not, and I would like to know if what I want can actually be done/catered with.

I better explain, exactly, what I want the unit to do, because I do not think that what I want is possible!! I want to be able to use Excel spreadsheets and write letters in Word and use 3 or 4 other proprietary programmes. The idea that really appeals to me is to have the programmes loaded, but not the data they need. The data would be on a pen drive which could be plugged in, data loaded, used and then saved back onto the pen drive. I see that Amazon allow a ‘free’ app to be downloaded so that books can be downloaded and read, and this is something else I would like to be able to do.

So what I would like to know is if the Samsung Galaxy, or another, will do what I want, and I would be very grateful if anyone could enlighten me, as I have looked at some tablets and have just got more and more confused.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

For me the main difference is the Op Sys. Android Honeycomb on my Galaxy 10.1. I still haven't quite got the hang of it and Apps. I don't have the prior experience with the fancy mobile phones... I do like the touchscreen :)

The Amazon free app for books is the Kindle reader (which I already have on my XP desktop pc) I have a Kindle as well.

I have to admit I am far more comfortable using a Windows Op Sys than Android, but am very slowly getting to grips with it.

I got the Galaxy Tab as iPad is tied to Apple apps - although that is supposed to be more secure as they vet them.

I am not sure about the pen drive plugging in, on my model you need to buy a separate adapter to turn the power port into a usb port.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Instead of using a pen drive it is probably better and easier to use a cloud based sync program/app eg DropBox.

You will not have programs loaded on a tablet but will get the appropriate app. Proprietary programs could be a problem if there isn't an app equivalent.

The iPad interface is actually quite straightforward. With the iPad you have to purchase the Pages and Numbers apps to be able to work on Word and Excel.

On an android device you will not get Word or Excel but will have to use an app that can work the relevant documents.

This may change with Windows 8 on a tablet.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I have the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and use an adaptor combined with a pen drive for data using Excel and Word documents, but you cannot work on, say an Excel spreadsheet on the Tab and then save it as an Excel spreadsheet. It is not as straight forward as using Excel/Word on a PC but it is usable.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You could use Google docs which will work with Word/Excel and save them to the cloud using Google Drive.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

On my Samsung Galaxy Tablet I use QuickOffice HD which allows you to use Word and Excel compatible applications.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Housten , stick to your faithful laptop and save money. It works doesn't it?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

chub_tor Is that Quickoffice Pro (Office & PDF) at £9.27?

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentlemen,

Many, many thanks for all your replies.

I don't know if anyone had a problem before lunch getting on to the site, but I tried logging in 3 times and got a screenful of stuff I have never ever seen before!! In now, so that's all that counts, I suppose!!

rdave13,

Yes, that was what I was thinking before I asked my query, but I thought that with a tablet - or something similar, if there was such a thing - then they are so much smaller and easier to pack one might be worthwhile having. I am glad - ????? - to say that my thought have been backed, so I will stick with the wife's laptop, easy to take on cruises not so easy on planes!

Once again, many, many thanks to everyone.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Housten: If you are not in a rush, why not wait until Microsoft launch their W8 Tablet in the New Year (not the one that they are launching at the same time as W8, but the one that actually runs W8) then you should be able to run things like Excel and Outlook, not simulations or substitutes.

There is little doubt in my mind that the Windows 8 Tablet, if it works acceptably with its add-on keyboard, will mean the death knell for the laptop. Of course, the laptop will take a while to die and may even put up a fight, but die it will.

The Road Warrior does not really need a vast Hard Drive, just one large enough to carry his software and any Mission Critical Files and certainly no CD/DVD/or whatever the latest disk format becomes/Drive, nor do you or I. Most of our stuff can be stored on a PC or NAS Drive, accessed at home by WiFi or from the Cloud when on the road.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

compumac yes that is the one that I purchased. As I said it works great and I have imported Excel files from my desktop via a USB memory stick and run them on the tablet. Sorry for the delay but I couldn't post earlier as there was a problem on this site.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...