We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cannot write to a dvd using toast 9

bbmf474

Likes # 0

I use a mac OSX version 10.5.8 and have toast 9 titanium I cannot write to a dvd for an unknown reason just get a lengthy error message The drive will play dvds! Any tips please? thanks bbmf

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Any clues in the lengthy error message ?

Like this post
bbmf474

Likes # 0

Lotvic Thanks for the reply. I decided to try the same files on the same DVD - the error message said the burn failed. I noticed it had some dirt on the surface, cleaned it and the dvd could be read, but the burn failure is a mystery. The dirt has some bearing but I cannot say if it was on there at the start or afterwards. The moral must be to keep the dvd very clean. Thank for your help and sorry to be a nuisance bbmf

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You are not a nuisance, every question is as important as the next.

My next suggestion was going to be to try writing to a different DVD, to see if it was that particular DVD or something wrong with the software, or the read/write head in the DVD burner drive. It is perfectly possible to have a drive that will read but not burn.

Like this post
bbmf474

Likes # 0

thanks very much - it is appreciated I will try what you suggest and will get back if there is a problem thank you once again bbmf

Like this post
bbmf474

Likes # 0

Dear Lotvic and any other expert MY problems are continuing. I suspect that my original problem was a 2Gb acrobat file was just too large so using acrobat made the file manageable. However on burning a dvd received the following message

**Drive reported an error Sense key=medium error Sense code 0x73, 0x3**

I am using the same dvds as previously which are RITEK dvd-r x8 This has burned a dvd then failed on a second discand will bot burn on a CD depite bienh only 256Mb Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

bbmf

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Instead of burning directly from Toast, use Toast to save to a Disk Image; then you may burn that image using Disk Utility.

This will confirm if software or hardware error.

The error reported can be due to disk media low quality Use Verbatim -R media. Don't even bother with +R of any brand. The drives Apple uses in the MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and iMacs all seem to fail to burn using +R media.

or power calibration issues which mean you need a new drive

or a failed burn laser - as above new drive needed.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

PS try burning at the lowest speed possible.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more