We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell XPS Will Not Connect to Internet

Legslip

Likes # 0

Will not connect either wirelessly or via Ethernet direct to router. Shows connected to router but NOT to internet. Have disabled Mcafee firewall but no difference. Any thoughts? Win7

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Try switching of router for a couple of minutes and then try again.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a read here, click here . The last post shows how to reset in Windows 7 but worth reading it all.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Quick update. Works ok in Safe Mode with Networking!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Then it sounds like a firewall setting blocking your browser

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat. Good to hear from you. Thats my thoughts too and I suspect Mcafee as cause but don't seem to be able to turn off ALL Mcafee services via MSCONFIG. Any further thoughts?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look here, click here.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Dave. I should have remembered. Had a PC a week ago and Mcafee was causing same problem. Although back on the web, don't think their 'fix' software worked. Fink I'll give up on Mcfee and use AVG free. Always been solid and reliable!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you've got the paid for version of McAfee why not uninstall then, after reboot, reinstall. All security programs, free or not, get their hiccups, even the great AVG.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide