We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PCI Express Slot....do I have one?

RISC OS user

Likes # 0

I am thinking of installing a USB3 card in my HP Pavilion p6235uk the article I have read which gives a video showing how to install it shows a Spare PCI Express slot but it is in white, and the other colour mentioned is blue. There appears to be 3 PCI Express slots on the mother board but they are black and the moulding is slightly different. Is there any easy way to be sure they are the correct ones? There are no other vacant slots, The only other one is used by the graphics card and is completely different,much longer. I look forward to your replies.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Yes it does Look here. But I think you are getting a little confused the USB card will be PCI not PCI-Express that is for your graphics card.

You will be wanting to install something like this I suspect.USB PCI

Like this post
RISC OS user

Likes # 0

Yes I do believe that the graphic cards is in a 16x PCI slot which may be "express", I am not sure, but the article does say that the USB3 card is inserted in the PCI Express slot but it is the small one. The confusion arises in the colour and shape of the moulding.

Like this post
RISC OS user

Likes # 0

I have looked at you link which is very helpful, and my motherboard looks just like the one displayed. So it looks as if I can go ahead and order the USB3 card. Thanks again.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I don't know if you need your USB3 ports on the front panel but I bought this from Amazon and it works very well. Internally it uses a PCIe slot but then brings the ports out the front. It will fit in a 3.5" bay or with an adapter Click Here will fit in a 5.25" bay.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

If your motherboard appears to be same as Chronus' link then you'll need the PCI-express type,don't order the PCI one which won't fit.

It should go in the short PCIx1 slot, the longer PCIx16 still works with the USB3 card at slower x1 instead of x16 speed which was designed for graphic cards normally.

click here for PCI-express card

click here for PCI card

Like this post
RISC OS user

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks