We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice wanted on a Defrag programme

Housten

Likes # 0

Good Morning,

I have read that some people do not think that it is necessary to defrag. well I disagree and think that the registry and the hard drive should be defragged on at least a monthly basis.

But what I am using, at the moment, seem to be getting slower and slower. I know there are recommendations on PCA but what I would prefer is for some of you readers what you have and use. I would, obniously, prefer free ones because I have found that when you purchase this sort of programme then you get offered an upgrade and they just then keep coming with very little being gained for all the extra cost involved. OK the free ones don't have all the bells and whistles, but many of these I think are just not wanted, when all I want the programme to do is to get the files into an order where they can be got from the drive in the shortest time possible. I would also like to be able to defrag external hard drives.

So if anyone could let me know what they use I would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

I personally use software called "MyDefrag" on all my computers.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I have used Diskeeper for a very long time. It is a paid for programme but you just leave it to do its job in the background. Occasionaly I look to ascertain that it is still functioning.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You don't defrag the registry. You can run registry cleaners but most make little or no difference to pc performance. In the days of small hard drive its may have made a slight difference. Defragging the hard drive can be useful but it depends on OS. W7 has a good defragger built in. You must not de-frag SSD's.

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

Registery Defrag

Glarys also has some software for Defragging

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentlemen,

Good Afternoon.

Many thanks for all your - very speedy - replies. I will look at your suggestions and see which I will use.

Once again, many, mant thanks.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I too have used Deskeeper, not expensive, for some years, IMHO it does a great job without one even noticing!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback