We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Annoying toolbars appearing on opening IE

jonem81

Likes # 0

I am fed with annoying toolbars taking over my home page. I know sometimes I must have inadvertently clicked 'next' before checking a download, but trying to get rid of them is difficult. I have used msconfig to try to trace them, and I have used Revo uninstaller when found, but they still seem to take over my existing home page. Does anyone have a solution to this very frustrating annoyance, please.

jonem81

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Are they in add remove.Maybe give MalwareBytes a run to see if it finds any problems.

Any names for the toolbars.

Check your add ons to make sure that they are not on there.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you can remember when they started appearing maybe do a system restore to an earlier date.

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

You can go to add/remove or Programs and Features and uninstall all the tool bars. The 2nd best other option is to use HJT and delete all the BHO's. Then reset your IE

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

What/whose toolbars are they ?

Like this post
jonem81

Likes # 0

Jock1e

The latest one is'Blekko', which is so intrusi ve, and it was in Add/Remove, but that did not remove it - it came back like a bad penny! I have managed to remove previous ones, but this one is very persistent. There should be a law against these intrusions. I'll check Add-ons.

T I M B O

Uh?

HJT and delete all the BHO's ?

iscanut

See 'Jockle' reply.

And Thank you all Forum members,

jonem81

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Have a look at this http://www.2-viruses.com/remove-blekko-redirect-virus

Also do a google search for Blekko..there are other articles about this nuisance. Good luck.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I think Timbo means Hijack This.. http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Looks like Blekko is a Virus have you tried running any of your security tools.

malwarebytes is good also Hitmanpro is worth a try it works really quick if it finds anything just activate it to remove anything it then lasts for a month then you either have to pay for it.Still use it but it will not remove any problems that it finds but at least you know what the problem is.

Will have a look to see if I can find anything that will remove it.

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

HJT is an acronym for Hijack This enter link description here

1) Download & install 2) Click "Do a system scan only" 3) You will then after the scan see whats called BHO's, just put a tick in the boxes, then click "Fic Checked"

Not only will this delete your toolbars, but will also delete other items that slow down your browser.

After doing this, then reset your browser.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If using I/E try tools Internet options.Make sure that you have your normal homepage in the box.

If it shows Blekko as the home page remove it.

Try the same with any other browser that you use.Is it just the one browser that the problem is in.if so which one do you use.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK