We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Annoying toolbars appearing on opening IE

jonem81

Likes # 0

I am fed with annoying toolbars taking over my home page. I know sometimes I must have inadvertently clicked 'next' before checking a download, but trying to get rid of them is difficult. I have used msconfig to try to trace them, and I have used Revo uninstaller when found, but they still seem to take over my existing home page. Does anyone have a solution to this very frustrating annoyance, please.

jonem81

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

All these toolbars come from software of all descriptions when your installing your wanted software. They do their best to trick you into installing them. I personally hate toolbars, but I do know some people like them. I am sure that in some cases that toolbars are designed to see what you are doing rather than enhance your browsing experience.

I personally use software called "Revo"

The free version works quite well for me. Revo is designed to help you remove more or all of the unwanted software.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Might find something that will help on here.

http://help.blekko.com/index.php/how-do-i-uninstall-search-bar/

Like this post
jonem81

Likes # 0

All Forum Members. Many thanks for your input. I cannot access any of the websites you have very kin dly suggested. However, I will go over all of your replies today sometime, and then come back to you. Much to digest! Thanks and thanks again!! jonem81

Like this post
T I M B O

Likes # 0

If you can not access these web sites then try resetting your browser 1st.

Click start then Control panel>> Then, click Internet options>> Then, click the advanced tab>> Then, click the reset button and then put tick in delete all. Rebppt IE and try again.

Of course if you have a home page, be sure to copy yhis 1st as it will be deleted.

Best of luck !!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Try safe mode and see if they will open on there.

Like this post
jonem81

Likes # 0

All Forum members who helped me with the Blekko nuisance. It looks as if Malwarebytes did the trick. Time is early yet, however, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will stay OK. Afer removing Trojan and other stupid things like 'funmoods', I was able to get to my IE options, and replace strange websites with my homepage, which, incidently is Virginmedia.com. I have closed down and re-started several time to see if it is stable now, and it seems OK. It looks like a good product to buy, but a bit too much for me. There is a website offering discount vouchers, but in view of my past problems, I am a bit reluctant to go for this!! I also use a freebie called "SuperAntiSpyware, which is also very good. So a big thank you to all of you who were involved in helping me, and I hope other Forum members can benefit from these postings.

THANK YOU!

jonem81

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In SuperAntiSpyware (free), open the program, select preferences, select hi-jack protection, tick all the boxes.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Ps, Malwarebytes is free once the trial is up but you need to update manually and scan. SAS free version is the same but you can buy a one year licence for the pro version. SAS better in safe mode, Malwarebytes better in normal mode. Use both programs with the free versions, will do no harm and will update your armour against these malwares.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

£12.99 and free delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Malwarebyte-UK-Retail-PRO-Lifetime/dp/B0045R5VJE/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=1347058648&sr=8-1

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks