We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can`t get Email to work on win7

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Posted September 3, 2012 at 9:16PM

Hi, I have dual boot system XP pro and Win 7. Internet and Email work fine in XP but not in Win 7. Internet works in Win7 but not Email, I am using Thunderbird. Email requires a password that I have entered and it is the correct one. It says incorrect password or username. I can not see where I am able to enter the user name as it does not require this only the password. I have phoned ISP Talk Talk and they gave me a new password

Tags:
email

Like this post

by date
by votes

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Posted September 3, 2012 at 9:23PM

The new password did not work either,so they gave up (this is their Tech department)and said go to their website but I could not access it as it said incorrect password.

What say you?

Ray

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4169696/cannot-get-email-to-work-on-win7/#ixzz25j97vqwr

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have you tried re-making the TalkTalk email account in W7? Creating new one and/or re-entering all details. It could be as simple as a typing error in your user name. Look in the account details.

Can you access the Webmail when using XP? if so then there is no reason why you can't when using W7 unless it is your pc's security settings. You should be able to login to Webmail from any pc.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I guess from "go to their website but I could not access it" that webmail is not working. Are you sure that you have the new password right? And did you use the new password on their website?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks, not having much progress here, I can connect to the net which is where I am sending this from but not Mail. Can access mail if I boot XP pro on same PC. Can get mail on my daughters PC on XP Home. I think this may be something to do with the router, have checked as you suggested and all seems OK. Router is Belkin F5D 8633_4. I can only get internet via a wired connection, not on wireless USB adapter. I can`t find the manual for the router but I vaguely remember having to put some settings in via Explorer but that does not explain why it automatically worked with XP. Out of my depth here, just can`t get it to work. I welcome any further ideas as I have run out.

Thanks Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Can anyone help please

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Hello Ray

From what I can tell so far, it's likely your problem is being caused because Thunderbird isn't setup properly. To get the ball rolling, let me know the last part (the bit after the @ symbol) of the e-mail address you're trying to use.

Because you can access the Internet fine in Windows 7, e-mail should work fine too so there's nothing wrong with your router setup.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi,

talktalk.net

Thanks Ray

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks Ray.

My experience of Thunderbird is virtually zero so here are some general tips for you:

Firstly, go here and see if you can login OK to TalkTalk Webmail. If you can then you know your password is correct and you can proceed to checking Thunderbird's mail settings:

Open Thunderbird and click the "Tools" menu then "Account Settings". Make sure the settings are as follows:

Username is your full TalkTalk e-mail address

Incoming (POP) server should be mail.talktalk.net

Outgoing (SMTP) server should be smtp.talktalk.net

If you still can't get it to work then delete the mail account from Thunderbird and start from scratch in creating a new one using these instructions.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks for that info now up and running. The incoming server showed as "imap" not "mail" so I just had to type in one word.

Ray

Like this post  
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"...The incoming server showed as "imap" not "mail" so I just had to type in one word."

Ah, given the symptoms you'd reported, I was expecting you'd find a problem with the username or password.

Glad to hear it's working, but from what you've said above, it might be worth explaining the differences between the IMAP and POP mail protocols. POP is the protocol used by the vast majority of folks and it works well, but only when one e-mail client is ever used. An "e-mail client" is simply a mail program like Thunderbird or Outlook Express etc. IMAP on the other hand is for folks who use multiple e-mail clients and/or devices and want the same e-mails and folders to be synchronised and to appear in all clients.

You're now setup to use the POP protocol so all your new (and old) messages will be downloaded to Thunderbird in Windows 7 and will be deleted from the server so they won't be available to any other e-mail client. If that's not what you were using before, and you don't want it that way, then you need IMAP. In that case we need to start from scratch again.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thank you for the follow up, I am not too sure what you mean. I can still access my mail from XP drive or another PC don`t really want it deleted from the server in case things go wrong. Would imap be better I really don`t know just happy that it is working. What do you think is best?

Ray

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September