We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No WEP key or Password

video geek

Likes # 0

Hello, I recently formated my laptop due to a problem I couldn't solve otherwise. I backed up all my files etc. Unfortunately I am unable to set up my internet as I have lost my WEP Key and Password. Could someone kindly explain to me in laymans language how to overcome my dilemma. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite, Router is a EchoLife HG520S Yours hopefully Dim Jim.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

The usual place to find the WEP key is underneath the router, possibly near to a barcode. Did your IP give you a password? Is this on the bottom of the router along with the WEP key or in a letter you may have received from your IP? If so did you then have to change it to something more personal? If you find the original password you could reset the router back to factory settings and it should revert back to the default password.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If its connected by Cable to the router, you do not need one. If Wireless you will need to start your Browser and enter router Settings by loading the correct address for your router. it may be 192.168.1.1 then press enter key PS to setup Wireless you need to use a Ethernet Cable for first time Wireless setup

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...