We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP pro seems to take an age to boot up

johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

the other night i inadvertantly switched machine off while shutting down, the nex night it would not boot past desktop whih i resolved with system restore, but since then it seems to take much longer to boot,

any ideas or have i done some damage? XP pro sp3

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

it would appear to be the same in safe mode.

lotvic.

it boots to desktop ok then hangs without the clock working when it kicks in after 4 mins the clock has moved on that amount of time it then takes a further 4 mins to get itself together and function ok. hope this might be of help? i also note it would seem to take it,s time shutting down also.

johnny

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

johnnyrocker , I know you don't take much notice of my posts, so, by the sounds of your recent reply to Lotvic, I would suggest a new cmos battery. Just a coincidence that a bad shut-down might have brought this problem on.

Do what you will with my suggestion.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

i am grateful for all/any help with my issues/problems and i am sorry i did not address the first part of my reply which was for you and the second part was for someone else

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

LOL rdave13, I did what I will with your safe mode suggestion of Yesterday at 5:23PM - i.e. gentle reminder that no report back had been posted ;)

Apart from the battery that might need new one, do you think the anti-virus is carrying out a full scan at start up?

Last time I did a system restore I found several of my settings within programs had changed back to their default.

johnnyrocker, check in your anti-virus program to see if that is what is happening.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Suggestion still stands that you might need a new mobo battery. Check your time and date.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

johnnyrocker, rdave13 and me (or is that I?) often come up with same suggestion.... What's that saying.. Great minds think alike? Nah, it must be fools seldom differ ;)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic , my first suspect was security software. They get buggered up by wrong timing and will knacker boot up and shut down. Usually, though, they will complain if times are incorrect. Not sure about the Year though.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic , fools seldom differ...lol, true today as it has always been. Still...we try.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

rdave13.

have checked date and clock and all seems correct.

johnny

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As lotvic, check your security software, as I don't think it's a hardware issue. Check windows update and check task manager for excessive ram/cpu usage.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more