We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP pro seems to take an age to boot up

johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

the other night i inadvertantly switched machine off while shutting down, the nex night it would not boot past desktop whih i resolved with system restore, but since then it seems to take much longer to boot,

any ideas or have i done some damage? XP pro sp3

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

It's a bit of a long-shot Johnny but has one of your memory modules suddenly failed? You can check the amount of memory Windows can see and use via Control Panel -> System.-> "General" section.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try booting up in safe mode. If it boots up in the usual time it did before, then you have a corrupted program. Could be Windows update or a Security program.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel.

not having much luck with your suggestion unless i am a bit thick?

rdave13

will try your idea later tonight, thanks for the interest

johnny

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Try a right click on my computer choose manage then device manager in the IDE /ATA/ATAPI controlers section double click on the Primary IDE Channel then the Advanced Settings Tab the Transfer Mode should be DMA if available , if it is showing a PIO mode then that is most likely the problem , the fix is to change the settings to PIO only ok out reboot then open up device manager in this same area but this time right click on "IDE /ATA/ATAPI controlers" at the top of the list and choose Scan for hardware changes , with a bit of luck this will get your drive back into a DMA mode , the reason this happens is that after a certain number of DMA transfer errors windows incrementally downgrades the drive DMA mode until it eventually ends up in PIO mode

Cheers HC

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"not having much luck with your suggestion..."

Sorry if I didn't explain things properly.

Your PC will have two or more memory modules installed. If one of them has failed then your PC will boot a lot slower and its performance will be adversely affected too.

If you know how much memory your PC's supposed to have then check what XP is reporting as per my previous post. It'll be displayed at the bottom of the "General" tab and is referred to as RAM. If the RAM figure shown is less than expected then it's likely that's what your problem is.

Like I said yesterday though, it's a long-shot but worth checking.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel.

ram checked out ok under general.

T0SH.

i finally got the hang of your message lol ( i think ) reading it again i am confused it shows DMA if available but on reading your mail again that seems to imply it is wrong?

johnny

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If running ok but slow boot then probably a startup program causing the problem

CCleaner - Tool - startup will allow you to disable each in turn

untill you find which one is causing the slow boot.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

my thanks for that but i have tried booting with all start ups disabled and no change. but thanks for the info.

johnny

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Same in safe mode then?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Which part is displayed on screen for the 7 minutes before desktop appears? (where does it seem to hang the longest?)

How long does it take to boot into Desktop in Safe mode?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...