We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP pro seems to take an age to boot up

johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

the other night i inadvertantly switched machine off while shutting down, the nex night it would not boot past desktop whih i resolved with system restore, but since then it seems to take much longer to boot,

any ideas or have i done some damage? XP pro sp3

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you have an XP pro SP3 disc, try running the system file checker, click here for info.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

forgot about that thanks will try tonight

johnny

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

May be you loaded Some startup Programs that had been disabled from Starting

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

system restore should have sorted the system files so would not expect to get much from sfc

Agree with woodchip look at your startup programs using CCleaner - tools -startup

and get rid of any unnecessary ones.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" i inadvertantly switched machine off while shutting down.... but since then it seems to take much longer to boot"

When Windows is shutdown abruptly like that, file corruption can occur so it may help if you did a disk check.

If you need step-by-step instructions then just ask.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

as fruitbat said the sfc did not produce anything, and i doubt i downloaded anything but thank you anyway

johnny

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

as fruitbat said the sfc did not produce anything, and i doubt i downloaded anything but thank you anyway, help on diskcheck would be an idear

johnny

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"help on diskcheck would be an idear"

Assuming that XP is installed on the C: drive (which it nearly always is) then here's what you need to do:

Open "My Computer", right-click the C: drive icon, choose "Properties", click the "Tools" tab then the "Check Now" button. Tick the top box then click the "Start" button. Answer "Yes" when prompted if you want to schedule the check for the next reboot then restart your PC. The disk check should start automatically. When it's finished the PC will restart normally.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

my thanks for that it is scheduled for tomorrow

johnny

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

it went through chkdisk and did not appear to find anything, still takes 7 mins to boot on from desktop

johnny

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......