We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Beeps when upgrading RAM and not booting up - Help pls

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good morning folks

Yes, I need some help/advice again, please.

Re: Dell PC, with Dell Dimension DE051 M/B

Having been to Crucial.com and getting details re what RAM can be used to improve memory (256Mb x 2 cards), 1Gb x 2 cards were ordered from eBuyer. Last evening, I went to my friend's house to put these in but PC wouldn't fire up, only some Beeps - single beep approx 4 times (I didn't think to actually count/make note at the time!!!)

I removed and replaced again, tried each one on it's own and in each slot but same beeps and not firing up. So, I put her original 2 x 256 cards back in and PC fired as normal.

I've checked all the details I have to be sure this is the right RAM, that the M/B will support this - will support max 2 x 1Gb DDR 400 - which is what the new cards appear to be.

I've been in touch with eBuyer and they will accept a return (once my friend gives me details to log in, or she do it!) so, at least, can be refunded.

However, that renders us back at square one with an incredibly slow machine and she can't manage getting a newer machine just now.

So, question is - Have I missed something that I should be doing to get the machine to cope with this extra memory?

I'm feeling somewhat out of my depth here so hoping some advice will help this issue. Alternative will be to get a techie in but my friend is on tight budget and the PC is used for charity work, for which she is a very much over-worked volunteer! So, I'm looking for the most cost-effective solution, of course.

Thanks, guys, for all/any advice you can offer. As usual, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 1

Hi wee eddie. Thanks. In fact, I have already spoken to where I bought the memory from and no, I didn't have to 'eat humble pie'! I merely explained the situation!

Regarding using the 'impoverished Charity worker', well, that is the situation. In addition to her full time work, she is a very committed volunteer to an animal charity as I am, which, believe it or not, would most likely not be running if it wasn't for her dedication and committment. She puts an incredible amount of time and effort into it so please don't belittle this. I only mentioned it in the first place, to try to explain that her situation a bit. She is very generous, even if she can't be with £££'s. I like to help my friends out where I can. It strikes me that perhaps you could be a little bit more charitable here. Having said that, it may be that you didn't mean it to come across as that but that's how it has come across to me.

Thanks Chronus, for your support. I appreciate it very much.

I am posting the RAM back today. Postage will only be for small packet so not too much lost there, eh?

I will post back once I've got further information from looking inside my friend's PC.

Just as a point of interest! I'm a 'she' not a 'he'! ;) Yes, and a pensioner now, come to that!!! Oh joys, eh? ;)

Cheers

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

My apologies 'she' instead of 'he'.LOL.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi again

Right, I have been able to get access to the PC and have taken a photo of the memory cards. See here for photo with all detail.

Does this give the information you were asking for, Chronus? There were no numbers/text on the other side of the card.

Thanks for all your help

Cheers

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

AroundAgain: I apologise if that really is the case and she is a penniless Charity Worker.

However, such hard-luck stories appear here as frequently as Cars that have only been driven by little old Ladies, appear on a Used Car Lot!

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi wee eddie

Thanks, yes, she's really having a tough time financially, just now. The country's cutbacks on certain workforces has had a big impact on her both financially and how her work hours now impact on her day to day stuff in her own time. Being single, having to support oneself and nearing retirement age, it's not an easy time, eh?

So, no, I wasn't trying to get sympathy or exaggerate etc. I was merely trying to state her situation to justify my actions etc.

So, OK, all forgotten now. Thanks :) Cheers

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Nice clear photo, but I really wanted to see the same thing with the newer stuff you bought, or a link to the Ebuyer wed-page would be good. I suspect you bought what should have been compatible but any more info is always useful.

I am not sure why wee eddie has a bee in his bonnet about the financial position of your friend? it is an irrelevance you have come here seeking help nothing more.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus

I hadn't appreciated the use of a photo of the 1G cards and I sent them in the post yesterday. So, have been back to the order page and taken snips.

The webpage of the item I bought is here

Also, I have snipped specific details from the webpage - picture of 1Gb card and Details and Crucial.com details

I noticed that the 1Gb cards are non-ECC (said somewhere on picture or blurb)

I do enjoy a challenge but I'm stumped now. I had thought it would be straight forward! ;) Still, you learn more when there are 'issues', eh?

I do hope there is an easy and inexpensive solution to this.

All help is very much appreciated.

Yes, as you say, Chronus, the forum is for giving/recieving help, regardless of personal situations.

I can only assume, when using a 'service' offered by a supplier, it might be considered obligatory to then buy from that supplier. I happen to believe in checking out alternative suppliers/compeetition. I feel businesses provide such 'services' to encourage more business and are not concerned that a proportion will then go elsewhere. To me, it's the nature of the game nowadays. I've always 'shopped around' when it's practical and advantageous.

Anyway, back to the drawing board. I can only wait for further suggestions now as I'm totally stumped. Next week will be trying to get my old PC working properly and accepting ethernet cable (!) 'cos M could have that one - would be a lot faster than her present one!!!

Look forward to hearing further solutions / way forward ...

Thanks folks Cheers J

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I shall get back to you after I have consulted more knowledgeable people hopefully.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks, Chronus I'll treat you to a jam donut!!! ;) J

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Much as I would love one my only sustenance these days comes from a bottle, and unfortunately not one that contains alcohol.LOL.

But I have had one thought/suggestion from elsewhere and might be worth trying.

Quoted from elsewhere.

"With a big OEM like Dell you get into a situation where they continue to manufacturer systems well after enthusiasts would not be able to even buy the components used on the open market. With Dell and RAM I reckon this probably means the creaky motherboard is only rated to run PC2700 (is that 366Mhz?), Dell mitigate this as they move to their new systems buy buying in RAM that can run at both speeds, (faster for the new systems, do not waste money/confuse dell factory chimps by buying 2 types of RAM) however RAM bought in future may only run at its rated speed and may not have the ability to be down-clocked, I am almost certain this is the case."

Reading between the lines I think it might be worth trying 1GB of PC2700 RAM and seeing it the PC boots if it does and I think the chances are reasonable that it will you can get another gig to put in. You have tried the PC3200 and it most certainly did not boot so I think this is your best option.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...