We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Beeps when upgrading RAM and not booting up - Help pls

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good morning folks

Yes, I need some help/advice again, please.

Re: Dell PC, with Dell Dimension DE051 M/B

Having been to Crucial.com and getting details re what RAM can be used to improve memory (256Mb x 2 cards), 1Gb x 2 cards were ordered from eBuyer. Last evening, I went to my friend's house to put these in but PC wouldn't fire up, only some Beeps - single beep approx 4 times (I didn't think to actually count/make note at the time!!!)

I removed and replaced again, tried each one on it's own and in each slot but same beeps and not firing up. So, I put her original 2 x 256 cards back in and PC fired as normal.

I've checked all the details I have to be sure this is the right RAM, that the M/B will support this - will support max 2 x 1Gb DDR 400 - which is what the new cards appear to be.

I've been in touch with eBuyer and they will accept a return (once my friend gives me details to log in, or she do it!) so, at least, can be refunded.

However, that renders us back at square one with an incredibly slow machine and she can't manage getting a newer machine just now.

So, question is - Have I missed something that I should be doing to get the machine to cope with this extra memory?

I'm feeling somewhat out of my depth here so hoping some advice will help this issue. Alternative will be to get a techie in but my friend is on tight budget and the PC is used for charity work, for which she is a very much over-worked volunteer! So, I'm looking for the most cost-effective solution, of course.

Thanks, guys, for all/any advice you can offer. As usual, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I'll post these specs for others to have a look at.

Motherboard.

Mobo details

Can you post a link to the RAM you bought or was it the stuff from Ebuyer I suggested?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I think the reason you are still having problems is down to my giving you the wrong link to the RAM you should have bought.

I suggested this. But it should have been this. I missed the non ECC bit in the mobo details under RAM. Unfortunately this will mean you having to return this RAM once again I am sorry to say and getting what I really hope is the correct type. I can only apologise for my error.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Bless you, Chronus.

Yes, I did order the one you recommended BUT I also phoned them and discussed the issue with them so they overlooked the non-ECC bit too! Also, I should have been alert to it really as Lotvic mentioned this a while ago too! Oh dear, never mind!

So, I'll return this RAM and order the non-ECC one and see how that goes!!! If that doesn't work, I'll just have to give up and see what a techie can do (at some expense, of course!)

I've also seen and reminded myself what Fruit Bat /\0/\ advised, on 5 Sept. I'm afraid I chicken out of exploring Bios!!! So, I think it's time I learnt a bit about bios stuff so I'll check this out first on my 'old' PC - can't do much harm then, eh? So, no offence meant, Fruit Bat, but I wasn't keen on that approach and then forgot about your advice. Sorry if you felt I'd ignored your help!

So, now to see if I can sort my 'old' PC out!!! Oh joy, eh?

Thanks for all your help, guys. I really appreciate it all. I'll post back when I've tried the next lot of RAM and Fruit Bat's advice.

Hope you have a good weekend, if possible.

Cheers J

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

To be honest I scratched my head on reading Fruit Bat's post that's a little technical for most of us.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Ahh, so it's not just me being naive then! That's reassuring!!! :)

Still, I'll have a look around the bios in my 'old' PC as that's the only way to find out about it, eh? I don't like experimenting on such things in someone else's PC, for fear of messing things up well and truly!!!

Take care, Chronus. Thanks for all your help. Be posting late next week, I expect!

Cheers J

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi again, Chronus and folks

Yay!!! Update - A new memory card arrived yesterday. I have just come back from putting it in my friend's PC. The new 'non-ECC' RAM card is up and working well and the PC has speeded up! She is delighted! :) I'm very much relieved and pleased.

I have only fitted 1 x 1Gb card this time. It didn't beep at me but neither would it boot up. Just screen saying something about changed memory. So, re-booted and pressed the good old F8! Then it came up with press F12 for System Settings, so thought I'd explore that one, being careful not to do any 'damage'!!! I just pressed Enter on the memory bit, pressed Exit, and came out of the whole thing, switched off and tried again. Booted fine!!!

I was so relieved!!! This was going to be my last attempt! So, will see how my friend finds it during the next few days and, if she is keen to try a further 1 x 1Gb card, then I'll know what to order. I took photos of the card and the package before putting it in, so I have details of the numbers etc.

So, thanks SO much for all the help and advice here. I have learnt a lot, which is all to the good, but only because of the help, support and advice from here. Such a valuable source for help, eh?

So, I hope you all have a good weekend. Chronus, I hope you will take heart for your input and support! You've been a star!

Cheers, guys, until next time ... J

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Full marks for perseverance.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks, Woolwell

Yes, I can be a bit tenacious, eh? It's my nature!!! I like a challenge and hate to be beaten!!!

So, we won, eh!!! What a brilliant forum, don't you think!!! :)

Cheers J

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I am glad I was able to offer a modicum of help, mind you this problem should have been resolved earlier but for my stupidity. But the main thing it has been resolved and you should have no problem adding another GB of RAM, says he with several fingers crossed.LOL.

Maybe we can have a look at your spare PC's problem and get that sorted.

Take care.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"....will see how my friend finds it during the next few days and, if she is keen to try a further 1 x 1Gb card, then I'll know what to order."

For an XP PC, I usually find that 1GB is more than adequate for most users. If your friend's PC currently has 1.25GB of RAM then I doubt you'll see any improvement by adding more.

There's a quick 'n' easy way to tell if a PC needs a RAM upgrade and that's to open Task Manager after the PC has been used fully for a day or so. Click the "Performance" tab and look in the "Commit Charge" section at the "Peak" value. That value shows the maximum amount of memory that was used during the current Windows session. If that value is the same as or greater than the "Physical Memory - Total" value then the PC would definitely benefit from more RAM. If it's lower then adding more RAM will make no difference and you'll be wasting your time and your friend's money.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'