We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Beeps when upgrading RAM and not booting up - Help pls

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good morning folks

Yes, I need some help/advice again, please.

Re: Dell PC, with Dell Dimension DE051 M/B

Having been to Crucial.com and getting details re what RAM can be used to improve memory (256Mb x 2 cards), 1Gb x 2 cards were ordered from eBuyer. Last evening, I went to my friend's house to put these in but PC wouldn't fire up, only some Beeps - single beep approx 4 times (I didn't think to actually count/make note at the time!!!)

I removed and replaced again, tried each one on it's own and in each slot but same beeps and not firing up. So, I put her original 2 x 256 cards back in and PC fired as normal.

I've checked all the details I have to be sure this is the right RAM, that the M/B will support this - will support max 2 x 1Gb DDR 400 - which is what the new cards appear to be.

I've been in touch with eBuyer and they will accept a return (once my friend gives me details to log in, or she do it!) so, at least, can be refunded.

However, that renders us back at square one with an incredibly slow machine and she can't manage getting a newer machine just now.

So, question is - Have I missed something that I should be doing to get the machine to cope with this extra memory?

I'm feeling somewhat out of my depth here so hoping some advice will help this issue. Alternative will be to get a techie in but my friend is on tight budget and the PC is used for charity work, for which she is a very much over-worked volunteer! So, I'm looking for the most cost-effective solution, of course.

Thanks, guys, for all/any advice you can offer. As usual, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Good morning folks, and good morning Chronus if you are around just now

Well, here I am again, at my friend's computer with new RAM.

As ever, I am needing further advice, please, if you can help ...

I checked with the supplier so this RAM 'should' be the right one/s. However, on powering up with a new card in place, just get more beeps and no booting up.

I tried the card in the alternative slot but same outcome.

I then took out the cmos battery, as Chronus suggested, left the pc for a while, then replaced it. Still wouldn't boot up unless the original RAM is in place. With the original RAM in place, it boots up as usual, ie very slowly. Needless to say, I have reset the time/date!

I think I need to call it a day now unless anyone can offer some straight forward options to try first.

So, will wait here a little while, just in case there is a quick response. Otherwise, I'll pick up any further posts from home.

Thanks for all/any helpful suggestions

Cheers J

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

And good morning to you, so still having problems. Would help to know exactly what beeps you are getting,though I suspect they will tell us what we already know,it does not like the RAM. The beeps will be a mixture of short and long.

I'll post this just in case you are still at your friends whilst I have another think.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

the original ram who is the manufacturer, if there is one.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

finerty

Here, the info is buried some pages back.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sorry I can't help you are certainly having problems with that computer.

I would just like to add a bit of advice just in case it helps.

I had an old computer with 512mb memory and using XP.I upgraded it to 2Gb memory and it did not make the least bit of difference to the running of the computer to me it was money wasted.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.Saturdays and Sundays can be a bit slow for answers on here.

Never someone around when you need them.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus and Finerty, good to hear from you

Yes, I'm still here (with my netbook) which makes it easier to keep an eye on this forum!!!!

So, I'm in the process of switching off M's pc (takes ages, don't forget!) so that I can 1) check the memory details for Finerty and have yet another listen, and count, of the offending beeps!

Back here in a few mins ...

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Jock1e - I'm surprised at that, as I've found going from 512 to 2Gb makes a HUGE difference to speed on XP and Vista!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have posted the RAM details again or rather the image you posted earlier.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi again guys/gals

Right, the beeps seem to be 4 x long, a short break then another 2 long, then nothing. Nothing on screen either, of course.

Well done, Finerty, for finding my photo of the original RAM. I'd forgotten I'd done that!!!

Sorry you didn't manage to upgrade the RAM with the anticipated increase in speed, Jock1e. I am now thinking this is a job for an experienced techie, if at all.

I think it might be more beneficial if I sort out my old pc at home and do a swap here!!! Then mess about with this at home and see how it would run on Ubuntu! Good learning situation all round, though, eh?

Still, happy to try again here, if any of you have any ideas ...

I'll just make myself another coffee!!! ;)

Cheers

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Oops! Sorry Chronus. Thanks for posting the link for the image with details of RAM. Got confused (not difficult these days!!! ) J

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia