We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Beeps when upgrading RAM and not booting up - Help pls

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good morning folks

Yes, I need some help/advice again, please.

Re: Dell PC, with Dell Dimension DE051 M/B

Having been to Crucial.com and getting details re what RAM can be used to improve memory (256Mb x 2 cards), 1Gb x 2 cards were ordered from eBuyer. Last evening, I went to my friend's house to put these in but PC wouldn't fire up, only some Beeps - single beep approx 4 times (I didn't think to actually count/make note at the time!!!)

I removed and replaced again, tried each one on it's own and in each slot but same beeps and not firing up. So, I put her original 2 x 256 cards back in and PC fired as normal.

I've checked all the details I have to be sure this is the right RAM, that the M/B will support this - will support max 2 x 1Gb DDR 400 - which is what the new cards appear to be.

I've been in touch with eBuyer and they will accept a return (once my friend gives me details to log in, or she do it!) so, at least, can be refunded.

However, that renders us back at square one with an incredibly slow machine and she can't manage getting a newer machine just now.

So, question is - Have I missed something that I should be doing to get the machine to cope with this extra memory?

I'm feeling somewhat out of my depth here so hoping some advice will help this issue. Alternative will be to get a techie in but my friend is on tight budget and the PC is used for charity work, for which she is a very much over-worked volunteer! So, I'm looking for the most cost-effective solution, of course.

Thanks, guys, for all/any advice you can offer. As usual, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Memory parity?

Some machines that support parity or ECC allow checking to be enabled or disabled in the BIOS, permitting cheaper non-parity RAM to be used. If parity RAM is used the chipset will usually use it to implement error correction, rather than halting the machine on a single-bit parity error. from here

I.E.

See if there is a BIOS setting to do with RAM that you can change, if so change it and try the new sticks.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

AroundAgain:

You say "I thought Crucial were very reliable", so much so that, having read the specification of the RAM they recommended, you went and bought it elsewhere.

As an ex-Businessman myself, I cannot say that I feel remotely sorry for you. Had you bought the RAM Sticks that they recommended, their Warranty would have replaced them had they turned out to be the wrong Parity.

Crucial are very reliable but many people try that, Crucial are not mugs. They just display, on your screen, a broad definition of the RAM required. Not the definitive specification.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks for your views, wee eddie.

Yes, I appreciate what you are saying but there is a huge difference in prices and my friend, due to very difficult personal circumstances, can't afford these prices at the moment. If it wasn't for the charity work that she does, in addition to her regular job, she wouldn't even be using a computer so you could look at the broader picture, please.

As an ex-businessman, you will presumably appreciate it is a very competitive market, especially during these times and so, as you imply, you take your chance.

From the information I got from Crucial, it would appear (with my lack of experience here) that I did order to the same requirements. I'm trying to do my best here and just wanting to help a friend out, to keep costs down for her.

So, folks, I will read the info given in the above links, try to get over to my friends asap to check more details of the existing memory and will post back.

Thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You need non-ECC memory.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

AroundAgain:

You are quite correct in that you did not feel the need to buy the ram from Crucial as it does tend to be more expensive. When I was less knowledgeable I used the crucial scanner and bought the RAM suggested from them. That was many years ago. I might use the scanner on an older system but usually I will try and find out what type of RAM is needed by the PC makers website or if possible the mobo manufacturer's website.

As I said in an earlier post matching DDR2 on older systems can be problematic, I would like the details of the current RAM make/type and serial numbers if any which hopefully you can provide later.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

AroundAgain: Crucial will have told you the truth, but not necessarily the whole truth. That is why there is a strong likelihood that using their specification to buy RAM elsewhere may get you the wrong Product.

I feel sorry for your friend, who trusted you to get the right product for her. Your next port of call is the Company that you bought the RAM from, eat humble pie and hope that they are willing to replace the RAM at little extra cost.

By the way, the impoverished Charity Worker is so well used, as an identity, that another might be a good ploy.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

He is covered under the Distance Selling Regulations(DSR's) and it will only cost him postage to return item and get his money back

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 1

Hi wee eddie. Thanks. In fact, I have already spoken to where I bought the memory from and no, I didn't have to 'eat humble pie'! I merely explained the situation!

Regarding using the 'impoverished Charity worker', well, that is the situation. In addition to her full time work, she is a very committed volunteer to an animal charity as I am, which, believe it or not, would most likely not be running if it wasn't for her dedication and committment. She puts an incredible amount of time and effort into it so please don't belittle this. I only mentioned it in the first place, to try to explain that her situation a bit. She is very generous, even if she can't be with £££'s. I like to help my friends out where I can. It strikes me that perhaps you could be a little bit more charitable here. Having said that, it may be that you didn't mean it to come across as that but that's how it has come across to me.

Thanks Chronus, for your support. I appreciate it very much.

I am posting the RAM back today. Postage will only be for small packet so not too much lost there, eh?

I will post back once I've got further information from looking inside my friend's PC.

Just as a point of interest! I'm a 'she' not a 'he'! ;) Yes, and a pensioner now, come to that!!! Oh joys, eh? ;)

Cheers

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

My apologies 'she' instead of 'he'.LOL.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED