We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Beeps when upgrading RAM and not booting up - Help pls

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good morning folks

Yes, I need some help/advice again, please.

Re: Dell PC, with Dell Dimension DE051 M/B

Having been to Crucial.com and getting details re what RAM can be used to improve memory (256Mb x 2 cards), 1Gb x 2 cards were ordered from eBuyer. Last evening, I went to my friend's house to put these in but PC wouldn't fire up, only some Beeps - single beep approx 4 times (I didn't think to actually count/make note at the time!!!)

I removed and replaced again, tried each one on it's own and in each slot but same beeps and not firing up. So, I put her original 2 x 256 cards back in and PC fired as normal.

I've checked all the details I have to be sure this is the right RAM, that the M/B will support this - will support max 2 x 1Gb DDR 400 - which is what the new cards appear to be.

I've been in touch with eBuyer and they will accept a return (once my friend gives me details to log in, or she do it!) so, at least, can be refunded.

However, that renders us back at square one with an incredibly slow machine and she can't manage getting a newer machine just now.

So, question is - Have I missed something that I should be doing to get the machine to cope with this extra memory?

I'm feeling somewhat out of my depth here so hoping some advice will help this issue. Alternative will be to get a techie in but my friend is on tight budget and the PC is used for charity work, for which she is a very much over-worked volunteer! So, I'm looking for the most cost-effective solution, of course.

Thanks, guys, for all/any advice you can offer. As usual, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have you tried just one of the 1Gb cards at a time? It is possible that one is defective.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

have a look through this to find the bleep problem.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi Woolwell

Thanks, and for such a quick response! Yes, it was a rather long post so this bit would be easily overlooked. "I removed and replaced again, tried each one on it's own and in each slot..."

So, that would suggest that either both defective or machine not liking them, to my logic. I tried re-seating them, to be sure they were firmly in place.

I do hope there is a solution here, and not too expensive! ;)

Cheers

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It would be useful if you could post details of the make/type of ram bought from Ebuyer and the old RAM details. Ram can be notoriously problematic particularly with older systems. Also you should always try and make a note of any beeps.

Looking at your PC specs your PC can take PC 2700 333Mhz and PC 3200 400mhz. AS Woolwell has suggested try 1 stick at a time though I suspect that you have incompatible RAM, people put far to much faith in Crucial, it does in my experience, get it wrong far to often to be reliable.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi Jock1e Thanks. I have looked at your link but can't see anything referring to four regular short beeps. I had 'googled' beeps and found that for reg short referred to RAM problem but haven't had time to find out more as yet.

I'll have another read of your link after I come back - just going out now, for a while.

Back later Cheers

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Crossed posts. You will get your cash back as you are covered by the distance selling regulations, but that does not help you with your problem.

Is the 2 x 256Mbs PC2700 or 3200?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have found that mrmemory http://www.mrmemory.co.uk/ provides a good alternative to Crucial.

Sorry missed that you had tried one stick at a time.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

MrMemory DE051 If this is the right system then it indicates that you should have DDR 3200.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus

I'm just going out but will be back later so will have to post details a bit later.

I had thought Crucial was fairly reliable, but that's in my very limited experience, so do bow to better judgement! Having said that, I checked out on mrmemory.com for that M/b and they came up with the same.

Oh, how I hate it when these things don't go right, especially when trying to help out a friend!!! ;)

Hopefully, will get there eventually

So, will post details later Cheers

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi there

Having read your posts, I have just checked what RAM was ordered (ie 3200) and, in fact, it would seem it's the correct item. Argh!!!

"This order contains the following items; Item: Extra Value 1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz 184pin Extra Value Ram"

Here are the details from Crucial.com

[imageshack.us/photo/my][1]-images/6/crucialpageramupgrade.jpg/

Ha! I thought, for a brief moment, I had just ordered the wrong items but seems not, after all. Shame, as that would have been an easy solution!!! ;)

Thanks Chronus, I'll check the existing memory once I can go over to my friend's place again - hopefully soon but maybe not till after the weekend.

In the meantime, I think it would be prudent to send the memory cards back to eBuyer, as they are no good just now?

Thanks folks. Please keep suggestions coming.

Cheers

[1]:click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?