We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A dying forum forum perhaps?

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Last post here before this thread was 7 hours ago. Very odd.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I have been a member quite a long time, I can't remember exactly. I have had a great deal of help from other members and hopefully, occasionally helped others. However the ethos seems to have changed. I don't know why, but it seems that there are now many more forums, and less interaction between members. In short although I still think the site is good, but I think it was better 2 or 3 years ago. In fact I would even say before that.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Chronus - I think you've summed it up perfectly.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think I agree with rawprawn, the ethos has changed.

Certainly don't get as much "lively and thought-provoking debate with other forum members." on Speakers Corner as we used to.

Mostly light stuff, nothing wrong with that, look how long the fondly remembered TT thread went on, but these days it quickly deteriorates into irrelevant silliness. Any attempts at serious debate also quickly deteriorates, into personal slanging matches.

I suppose, as the FE says, it is a cyclic thing and the wheel will turn once again in a few years.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Any attempts at serious debate also quickly deteriorates, into personal slanging matches."

Well, there's not much we can do about that, I'm afraid. The quality of Speakers Corner debates (for I take it you mean those) are entirely dependent on the people in the forum. You say 'the ethos' has changed, but it hasn't. I'm still the same, the forum rules are still the same,so what has changed?

As long as I can remember we have seen people complaining about the way the forum is run, and yet we have seen the number of people who visit the threads steadily rise. Most of them don't post, but there's not much we can do about that, apart from relaxing our editorial policy and allowing a free-for-all. We tried that about nine years ago, and the result was horrendous; we had a hard core of troublemakers who seemed determined to hurl as much personal abuse at others as possible. I realised that it had to stop, and following discussions with the magazine editor I instituted a zero-tolerance policy as far as personal abuse is concerned.

That has continued to this day, and nothing else has changed....except the membership.

It's up to you and your fellow forum members to start 'lively and thought provoking discussions', and to stop the silliness that others complain off. The quality and volume of the forum content is totally in your hands.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'The quality and volume of the forum content is totally in your hands.

If that is the case, why is it that very sensible suggestions from long-term members keeps getting ignored? Those mentioned by Chronus would make the forums more user friendly which would, in turn, encourage more to use them.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Such a simple question getting such a large respone in such a short time answers itself.

The only options members have is

1 We are not forced to open the forum pages

2 We have a choice as to post or not

As with anything members have no control over contents or layouts. Even Microsoft made a decision to remove an available option. But like use of this site they cannot decide is that we must use it

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I suppose, at least, the number of posts on this thread proves forum is not actually dead, yet (maybe just a "heavy cold")

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Well, there's not much we can do about that, I'm afraid."

Not suggesting for a moment that you can

"The quality of Speakers Corner debates (for I take it you mean those) are entirely dependent on the people in the forum."

Exactly so.

" You say 'the ethos' has changed, but it hasn't. I'm still the same, the forum rules are still the same,so what has changed?"

The ethos - that "characteristic spirit of a culture, era, or community as manifested in its attitudes and aspirations:" (COD)

That indefinable characteristic spirit of the forum has changed. It will no doubt change back, but it has changed.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"That indefinable characteristic spirit of the forum has changed. It will no doubt change back, but it has changed."

Presumably you mean for the worse, and again I say - it's the forum members who give it 'that indefinable characteristic spirit'.

In a way I wonder if you're doing what we all do at times - lapsing into 'back then the summers were always hot and we never locked our doors' syndrome? It's easy enough to think that way if you've been here - as you have - for a long time. I can remember (over 11 years ago) when our forum only had 1500 registered members, and a regular group of us used to have absorbing discussions late at night. We did it every night, the same crowd, and it was certainly something that doesn't happen now. Back then, internet forums were not so thick on the ground, and it all felt new and exciting - computers were nursed along from minor Windows crisis to minor Windows crisis on an almost daily basis, and lots of us built our own machines as a matter of course.

How times have changed, eh?

You've got me at it now.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I still come back to earlier points, that I think the word "Tech", at least in "beginners" is a mistake. For the real beginner looking for help on the basics, afraid he might be ridiculed for asking a "dumb question", it's just plain off-putting. That's the exact opposite of what that forum should be, surely. Simple "Beginners Help" just seems more "welcoming"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014