We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A dying forum forum perhaps?

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Last post here before this thread was 7 hours ago. Very odd.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

FE

Perhaps we could have a referendum,

TECH - In or Out?

Just a thought.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Nontek

Bit like a referendum on whether we should join the Euro, we kinda know the outcome. Removing "Tech", at least from Beginners forum, has got to be an inprovement.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that one should consider the parameters of any Search, that an individual might put into Google, to find a Forum such as this.

It certainly would include words related to Computers or even Computer itself, but it is unlikely to include the word Tech, as Tech has associations with so many specialities as to be almost totally non-specific.

However, Tech is the shortening of Technical or Technician, so one could just as easily pick-up someone searching for a Tractor Repair Technician.

While I have no idea of the total number of Viewers to the Forum, it has become visibly obvious that there has been a considerable reduction in number, and frequency, of Postings to all the Forums except Speakers Corner which, as usual, is inhabited by a bunch of deadbeats such as myself!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Did you not read the FE's post? " we'll continue to try to provide what most people want, rather than giving undue weight to what a relatively small number of people say they want."

By that I take it that 'most people are happy with Tech before forum headings,most people do not want to be able to edit a post,most people do not want adding a link more user friendly,most people do not want the ability to PM other members,most people do not want to be able to quote a particular members post to make a more relevant response and finally most people do not want the above which can be found on most other forums of this type.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I suppose most people must have taken part in the Poll or Referendum on those design features. Drat, I missed it.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

How could anyone think this is a Techie Site Adverts for Peronality tests and even on changing pages on the same Topic got to wait while and avert video for Vanish loads the only tech is the guys that post not much on the designers

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

I have been around since 2000 (started under a different name, which doesn't show up on the stats) and the FE is right when he says "We've had numerous threads speculating about a 'dying forum' over the years, and yet here we are, in our twelfth year of online life, still going strong". I have to agree with that statement.

I don't contribute that much now, it's because i've had to change my career and now don't work that much in IT, just when my services are required. So in some areas I don't have the current knowledge to answer the posts in say W7 or W 8 or the time as my learning for my current post is a million miles away from IT.

I hadn't looked in on PCA for quite some time and got a shock when I first saw the new look forums. At first I wasn't too sure as to which forum was which, but I have gradually got used to it. I can see why PCA have broken down the forums in to different pages, keeping it all in one forum was what we were used to. Times change and we have to move with the times for better or worse.

I still promote the site whenever I can as it taught me a lot when I first started in IT as I have found the members are freindly and very knowledgable which you don't get on quite a lot of sites. I think this is one of the main reason why PCA forums is still around and will stay around for years to come.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

My only comment, I don't dare grumble, is that when I joined, in 2001 there were about four forums, I'll be corrected if that's wrong.

Now there are fourteen!

Like this post
March Hare

Likes # 0

"visitors who never think of posting in the forum discussions"

Include me in that number now; the simple reason being that since the last major "upgrade" the posting procedure is just too user-unfriendly and not intuitive. In "the old days" I would add a comment if I thought it would be helpful, but now there are so many pitfalls in making a successful posting (witness the number of duplicate postings and posted links that don't work), that these days I rarely bother to post; I suppose I should study and absorb the instructions for posting successfully, but that was not normally necessary on the old site (in my experience).

So these days I still visit the site most days, but am mainly a lurker now.

Just my two penn'orth.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

" we'll continue to try to provide what most people want, rather than giving undue weight to what a relatively small number of people say they want."

Sounds more like an aloof politician who knows what people want but does not care to ask them as quite obviously being a politician you do not ask, - rather than the relatively small number of people who say what they want.

I would totally agree as to the removal of Tech as a heading.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...