We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A dying forum forum perhaps?

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Last post here before this thread was 7 hours ago. Very odd.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a lool here

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Regardless of frequency of posts I think the Forum correction the Site died along time ago whilst the members and help are first class .A forum with no Edit No PM.s and the the biggest load of clutter advert of any forum I use Oh sorry you need the adverts well you need the users too

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I think that the addition of the word "Tech" to the Title, of some of the Forums, has been counter-productive."

I agree with wee eddie.

The majority of people are technophobes, not technophiles (I'm talking about the average searcher, not the normal users), and the addition of the "tech" is counterproductive.

Take XDA Developers on the Android site.

Unless you know differently the average android user wouldn't go anywhere near the site, but, like the Helproom, it's full of really useful stuff..

Initially I though the renaming was a good move, but now I'm not so sure.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Spuds

You seem to be making the common mistake of assuming that the number of posts in the forums can be directly related to the popularity of the site as a whole. I've made the point on numerous occasions that the forums - important as they are - represent just one aspect of the site. Millions of page impressions each month come from other areas, so yes, I am happy to record the fact that we get huge numbers of visitors who never think of posting in the forum discussions.

We've had numerous threads speculating about a 'dying forum' over the years, and yet here we are, in our twelfth year of online life, still going strong. All web forums have undulations in their traffic, it's the nature of the business, and a big contributing factor is the way that technology advances. In the early days our Helproom was awash with pleas for help with Windows problems that just don't crop up these days. Big improvements in customer service in the industry have contributed to a slowdown in the number of threads we see concerning companies not meeting their obligations under consumer legislation.

We have always had a relatively small core of people who post regularly in Speakers Corner, and many of those have been with us for many years, despite the fact that some of them regularly take us to task for this or that shortcoming. We.re not perfect by any means, but this is one of the most successful computer oriented sites in the business. We've made some mistakes along the way, but we've got things right a lot of the time as well, and despite what some people seem to think, we've done it largely by taking note of what our forum members say. It's pretty obvious that if we had no contributors we wouldn't have a forum, but we do have contributors, and we'll continue to try to provide what most people want, rather than giving undue weight to what a relatively small number of people say they want.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Woodchip "my posts say I joined in 2001 that is way out as it was back in the 90s about 1996....."

No it wasn't , the forum didn't exist then. It's your memory that is way out. You joined us in 2001.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I do agree with the comments about "tech" being off-putting. "Beginner's Help" sounds welcoming to a beginner. That's where new visitors would be encouraged to start, if they're not experienced. "Beginners Tech Help" sounds like a place where you're going to be given a lot jargon, that you wouldn't understand, if a total beginner.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

rdave13,

Thanks for your link about Ad Blocking on Chrome. Bit busy at the moment, but I will investigate when I get a chance. Coincidentally perhaps, the problem appears to have gone away at the moment.

Peter,

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

Spoke too soon about the annoying video; it's back!

Peter.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I think that morddwyds comment "Take XDA Developers on the Android site. Unless you know differently the average android user wouldn't go anywhere near the site, but, like the Helproom, it's full of really useful stuff"

Very, very true. When all aspects of computing were centred on one forum it meant that if you were looking for a posting on say, Microsoft Excel - it was there. Whereas now, if I am correct, an Excel posting could be in another forum that the poster was used to using and did not consider another forum for that particular subject.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

FE

We know you are looking and listening, so can you please do something about getting rid of Tech in the forum titles, like others here I am convinced that the Tech bit is 0ff-putting for some, especially Newbies!

TIA

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...