We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A dying forum forum perhaps?

KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Last post here before this thread was 7 hours ago. Very odd.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Further to the times of postings - back in the old days I would look at the forum at 8 o'clock in the morning and wonder at the numbers of people who had posted - seemingly in the middle of the night!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes but there are not that many that are prepared to sit at there PC all day, even FE will admit to that. And as I said things have changed a lot from the Day I first joined PCA forum My Posts says I joined in 2001 that is way out as it was back in the 90's about 1996, posts to date that they know of is 45,664. I Think the info they have is on account of, some as been lost due to server problems in the past

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS so you cannot blame me for not Posting

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

woodchip. I am sure that no-one is blaming you, why should they? The fact remains that this site is not as populated as it used to be. Whenever I switched my PC on, this site was the first to be visited and subsequently during the day I would continuously return to find many more interesting postings. Chronus remarked on the fact that the originator of a posting does not come back with replies and one has to ask as to why they do not? Perhaps the Forum Editor having an overall view of changes etc, to the forum can give some reasons as to the seeming decline in postings?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that most systems are more reliable nowadays. I used to get friends ringing me up on a regular basis saying that something had gone wrong and what could they do. These calls have by and large dried up. I hope it is not because of me but I think that they no longer need the help because they don't have the problems.

I agree that the number of postings has declined and also find the slow response odd. I have had replies several days later. That didn't used to happen on such a regular basis.

The other snag is that many posters do not tell you the whole story at first. The tinkerers are the ones that seem to create biggest problems.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I use another forum which is going through the same problems.Not sure if it is a summer thing or whether it picks up in the winter or not.

In good weather folk like to get out and about so maybe that is why there is less questions and answers.

Plus the Olympics being on may also be detrimental to the amount of folk using sites like this.

I watched the blind footballers yesterday and was astonished at some of the skill shown.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The questions raised in this post, as been aired on many occasions since the PCA website was re-invented. And it would appear that the forum editor seems to stick to the amount of praise the extra 'record high hits' the website is receiving, so making this website a complete and total success, since the old days, when people seemed to participate more frequently?.

I use to post many times a day since I joined the forum from its infancy, yet my contributions are getting far less, mainly for some of the reasons given previously by other member's, and due to lack of responses from questions posted, and especially from the originator's of such postings. If they cannot be bothered,why should others who are offering their services for free?.

The other point that I find rather annoying, is that of being asked to provide information about the website problems, and then receiving a response that you are one of the website regular moaners, with the usual remark from the forum editor that " we know who you are". It seems to me that this website is getting very selective on what it wants from contributor's, and perhaps some of us now think it more productive to lurk than participate, as we use to do?.

But I could be wrong on having an opinion on this subject, I usually appear to be on many occasions with this website. But I would hate to see this website fail, like other similar websites have done over the years, and that includes the demise of some computer magazines, who was thought that they were a raving success until the participating subscriber's or membership thought differently?.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

spuds

I too am in the regular moaner club and tend to take treat childish comment about that fact with the contempt it deserves.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Whilst agreeing with many of the comments. There is no doubt that postings have dropped.Like others my timeline also goes back to the 90s. There are more forums now available and even PCA has far more sections. I am not and expert just a user and post on problems that I have had and how I resolved that problem.

The changes over the years may be the reason why posts have dropped it may not, placeing Tech before the differant sections, I presume mean that only experts will answer. Which was not what PC advisor was about in the early days. I can rember typeing early programs from tha PCA and saving them to a tape cassette to run on the Atari.

People asking questions can get this from experts at many computer outlets now. So tend to react with their feet ( or fingers in this case )In many cases it is resolving problems what people want to know, not details of why and how its happened 

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

I think you're all missing at least part of the changes (problems?) that were made.

In the old days, there was a Helproom. That was it! Whether you had Windows 3.1, 95, 98, me, XP or whatever, if you needed help, that's where you went.

As the site has evolved, dedicated "sub-sites" (pages) have appeared as a minimum for Vista, Win7 & 8. Whereas formally, all those posts would have gone to a single page, they all now get spread around the various sub-pages.

Personally, I think that was a mistake. As I have zero interest in Vista, 7 or 8, I rarely visit those threads, even though on occasions, there may be something I could contribute to.

Under the old system, I would scan up from wherever I last was and if I saw something I thought was interesting, I would take a look and possibly post if I had something useful to add. And that's the reason I far preferred the old time stamp instead of this horrible "posted ** minutes ago" blurb.

So on the one hand, the new site construction has categorised posts to a greater degree and arguably made it easier to find stuff, on the other, it's potentially reduced traffic to individual sections. As the Helproom is the general section where everything that doesn't fit anywhere else goes, one could argue it's going to be spasmodic, as to when people post. Indeed, you can visit some pages and not see a post for several days. I just checked out the business page for example and the last post was 5 days ago. Is it any wonder then, that "helpers" don't bother to click on those sections?

On balance, when this new design first appeared, I was enthusiastic about it and felt it was a positive step forward. I still think visually, it's more appealing than the old, but in usability terms, I'm no longer so sure.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers