We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TV/PC/Laptop/media integration, I need some advice

diche

Likes # 0

Hi, I am not a total beginner but looking to setup a type of system I know nothing about.

I need to buy a new computer, TV and music player. I think it might make sense to set up an integrated system.

The research I have been doing has led me to subjects like: NAS, Raspberry Pi, Media centres, Smart TV etc.

But the jargon is confusing and I could really do with a beginners guide to the subject.

Any help gratefully received :)

Like this post
diche

Likes # 0

Hmmmm, plenty of views but not much by way of answers,, maybe I need to be more specific. Here is a scenario of how I might use the system.

I want to be able to use my TV, laptop or pad to access a home system that will stream relaxing music to the speakers in the bathroom, whilst playing a movie in the lounge and allowing someone in the bedroom to access the internet and save the documents they are working on to a central location for later access by another device. Oh and just for fun let's say I want to record an episode of my favourite programme at the same time.

Is this possible? Can you point me in the direction of some people who can tell me what I need to achieve it?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 1

I came across this when I was on another forum - a media server. It may do all of the things that you want but I am not an expert on these matters.

XStreamHD Media Server

Like this post
diche

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely need some sort of server but whether it is a dedicated media server or a RAID or a NAS I really don't know. I don't really understand the difference between them.

My current research is about DLNA which seems a promising avenue. Initially I really just need to know what specs I should be looking for in peripherals like TV and laptop to ensure that they can be integrated as I build a smart network. I am coming to the conclusion that my aim is possible, but may not be easy and it's certainly not available off the peg at a sensible price.

I have learnt a lot in the past 3 days, but I have a long way to go

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...