We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

vista windows update failure code 800b0100

awest3

Likes # 0

I'm trying to sort a friends Vista PC. It wont do any windows updates. msg 'Windows could not search for new updates'. At this point I have to say that this system is vanilla in most aspects, its mainly used for web access and word. Normally first step is to do a system restore but by the time I was called the restore points had been overwritten by new ones. No full Acronis type backup is available, he tends only to backup his own files. so I searched the web and numorous suggestions came up. The main one seemed to be to 'Run the system readiness tool' which I did but it had no effect. Next I checked that all the required services were running along with their dependancies! all ok. I then looked at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997 which gives a list of options to fix this issue. Synopsis - Run SFC/Scannow; Reset the Catroot2 file; REmove any incorrect registry entries; Reregister the windows update dll's; Stop anti-virus; rename the software distribution folder; clear the BITS queue; rename the pending.xml and run chkdsk. (All actions are documented in the support file).

Nothing made any difference. After each change I re-booted. I eventually downloaded a program which runs the windows updates through the CMD screen. This worked ok.

I'm still at a loss as to what to try next. He does not want me to reformat and reinstall Vista and is happy to use the CMD command to run the update program but I'd like to know what else could be causing this problem.

I may have missed a few things I tried but would be gratefully for any advice.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

How to resolve Windows Vista Update error 800B0100 Click Here Hi Heres a few things to try

Error Code 800B0100 in Windows Update Click Here

Error message when you try to use the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates: "0x800B0100" Click Here

How do I reset Windows Update components? - a Mr Fixit Click Here

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, and for Windows 7 Click Here

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Hi,

Thanks for these..tried em all to no avail..

Graphicool1 your second 'click here' takes me to an instantvista site which is up for grabs..

Thanks again...

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi awest3

"your second 'click here' takes me to an instantvista site which is up for grabs"

Oops sorry about that. I'm responding to bump you back to the top of the list. Perhaps someone else can come up with a solution for you.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Thanks.. Its a bit of a mystery.. All things seem to point to a corrupt or missing file. Yet in all the tests I've done I can't find a problem. I even reregistered all the Dll's to no avail... None of MS's fixes (even Mr fixit) did anything.

If its to be fixed at all I can only think of doing a reinstall of Vista, except I'd suggest moving to W7.

Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features