We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can an AMD 3800 single core run Windows 7?

VNAM75

Likes # 0

I currently have the following pc running XP:

Amd 3800 64 single core CPU 2 gb Ram 128mb pci express GPU

It runs fine but sometimes like to restart automatically. If I installed Windows 7 Home premium on this pc would it perform better in terms of reliability and speed? It will only be used for basic tasks such as viewing iplayer, youtube, mp3 music etc. I'm after better stability without any loss of performance. Is it worth buying Windows 7 or should I stick with XP?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You are using pretty old tech and I doubt would see any significant improvement by installing Windows 7. Use this to see if you can run Windows 7 or not.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

use the window 7 compatability test

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

This will test your machine, hardware & Software to tell you what will or will not run on your machine.

Terry

Like this post
daxian

Likes # 0

stick with xp ...win 7 needs a min of 4gb memory ,anything less your system will struggle.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[It runs fine but sometimes like to restart automatically]

It will Probably do the same with W/7 if you don't fix the fault.

It maybe an overheating problem so check your air vents for dust and fluff and if any inside the computer will need cleaning as well.

Check that the fans are clean and running also check the heatsink is not clogged up with fluff if so remove that as well.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

daxian - W7 does not need 4Gb of memory. In fact W7 32 bit will use less than 4Gb. Whilst I agree that more ram helps most system will run W7 quite happily with 2 Gb and some netbooks come with only 1 Gb. See this

Like this post
VNAM75

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone I will try the compatibility tests and may add an extra 2gb ram.

Like this post
HenryF75

Likes # 1

If it any help I have been running win 7 for the past year on a AMD 3100 processor with 2Gb ram, without any problems. Performance is an improvement on XP. The only problem experienced with the upgrade was with the graphics card. The Raedon card which I had could not run Aero but a search on E Bay found a suitable NVidia for my old motherboard. Best of luck with your trials.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data