We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pci ethernet speed HP G5208uk desktop

pookie

Likes # 0

Hi,

Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium.

I have downloaded and run SiSoft Sandra to try and find the pci ethernet speed of my desktop ie 10/100 or 10/100/1000. I have also looked on the HP website. Both mention gigabit but both elsewhere only mention 10/100. For example from the HP website product specification:

'Networking LAN: Gigabit 10-Base-GT Technology: Realtek RTL8111DL 10/100 Mbps Data transfer speeds: up to 10/100/1000 Mbps Transmission standards: Gigabit 10-Base-GT Ethernet'

Based on the above is my pci ethernet slot gigabit but the realtek thing is slowing it to 10/100? Do I need to update a realtek driver or anything?

Thank you

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Rather than looking on the HP website, go into the computer's Device Manager ("Start > Run", type devmgmt.msc and click OK), expand the entry for Network Adapters and see how it is described. It should say something like Gigabit Network Connection if that's the case.

To run a Gigabit network, all computers would require gigabit adapters and be connected to a router whose ports are also gigabit. The hardware itself must be gigabit, it isn't something that can be upgraded with drivers.

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Thank you. It says 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller' and is gigabit.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more