We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WD My Book Drive Replacement

Biker Dave

Likes # 0

After 4 years my My Book 1TB external drive has died in what seems to be a fairly well documented issue. I have confirmed the drive is US by removing it from the case and trying to use it as a normal sata drive, no luck. This would confirm that the case mb is OK. I use the drive as my desktop / laptop back up drive so wish to restore normal service asap! The installed drive is a WD10EACS – spec SATA-300 – 16MB cache-7200rpm. I have considered installing a WD1002FAEX Caviar Black. 1TB – SATA-600 – 64MB cache – 7200rpm. I can’t see why this wouldn’t work but does anyone know different? I like the fact this My Book has sata/usb and firewire outputs but would prefer a reliable back up to additional outputs. All help appreciated.

Like this post
Biker Dave

Likes # 0

Update: Always helps to push the power supply in properly, doh! Drive OK so looks like a new case is required. Off to search the WWW.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features