We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intermittent (Non-OS) Shutdown problem

OCRIDION

Likes # 0

Hey all,

Haven't been on here since I was 17, longtime (5 years). lol

Anyway, I've built a server rig comprising of the following essentials only:

• ASUS M4A78LT-M LE (AMD 760G - Socket AM3 - DDR3 1800(OC) - SATA 3Gb/s - SATA RAID - MicroATX - Onboard Graphics)
  • AMD ADX640WFGMBOX Athlon II X4 640 (3.0 Ghz AM3 CPU)
  • Western Digital Caviar 2TB SATAII 64MB Cache (3.5 inch Green Internal Hard Drive OEM)
  • Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A 4GB 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 (2 X 2gb)
  • 400W TFX PSU

I first started working on this build about a year ago before it was interupted by a 6 month move to london.

THE ISSUE

After abour an hour of it operating normally it will switch it immediately switch off, try to turn on it again and it cut the power again 3 seconds later. How long you can keep the system on depends on how long it has been turned off for before hand.

TRIED SO FAR

• Reapplying Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste
  • Dusting board of any possible little dust critters
  • Ensuring Processor and Heatsink is seating properly after checking processors pins
  • Upgrade Power Supply (From 100 Watt to 400 Watt)
  • Disconnected all devices but the processor, 1 stick of RAM and ofcourse the PSU
  • Reset the BIOS by the jump switch
  • Remove all Chasis pin from motherboard except the for PowerButton pin
  • Different power cord

UNACCEPTABLE ANSWERS

• Doesn't work
  • Replace the processor
  • Have you tried turning it off and on again

I took the processor out and it worked fine for ever... nothing happened... but it stayed on. lol

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

My guess is CPU overheating, could be the fan(s).

Like this post
OCRIDION

Likes # 0

Exactly what I thought, but everything seated properly and the processor has been given Arctic Silver 5 as an extra (instead of standard paste), the fan seems to be running at a good speed too.

Furthermore, when I touch the heatsink immediatly after the system shuts off, its not even warm...

I'm out of ideas.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I suggest using temp monitoring software to see what is happening with the server cpu. You seem to have eliminated everything else.

Like this post
OCRIDION

Likes # 0

Well, there is no operating system on it, so I need to find some offline Key Drive tool to monitor if anything is wrong.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

In case (no pun intended) it still is a cooling problem, try leaving the side off and directing a domestic fan at the innards on full blast. It may help diagnosis.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Well, there is no operating system on it, so I need to find some offline Key Drive tool to monitor if anything is wrong."

According to the user manual for your motherboard, the BIOS reports MB and CPU temperatures. You can find it via the "Power" -> "HW Monitor Configuration" menu.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...