We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Difference in Broadband speed on different laptops.

HHGTTG

Likes # 0

I have two Acer laptops one being only a few weeks old, the other about two years older. The older has an i3 Intel processor whilst the newer has an i5 Intel processor. I conducted, this morning, using Speedtest.net some download tests and found that the 'old' laptop was returning higher download results in excess of 16Mbps whilst the new one returned figures of about 12 to 13 Mbps. The new one is running I.E9 and the 'old' one I.E8. Both have Avira anti virus software on them although slightly different versions but other than that, with my limited computer knowledge - relatively speaking, cannot explain this. The newer one does often seem tardier in rendering websites but you get used to that after a day or so. I do alternate the use of these laptops. Both are used wirelessly. I don't have auto updates 'on' on either laptop.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I am experiencing a similar conundrum...my 'dial-up' internet connection appears to be about three times faster than my mobile modem broadband connection. Both with Virgin. ( browsing PCAdvisor on both machines) when I try to display The 'dongle' tariff ie what I've got left on my monthly allowance, I get the message 'not available, try again later'. Both computers have similar specs/overheads etc.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Are both laptops in the same position when tested?

For best results test both connected by cable to the router.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

If you do a speed test, with each connected via ethernet, you should be able to determine whether it's wi-fi issue, or another laptop problem. May well prove to be to do with driver for the network adaptor, on slow one. I had similar problem, with new laptop, which turned out to be manufacturer had put WRONG driver, for adaptor (not just out of date one)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...