We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Printer driver and O/S incompatability problem

Footloose1949

Likes # 0

I have an Mitubishi CP3020DA Dye-sub printer for which there is NOT available a Win 7 64-bit printer driver, and I currently using a HP Pavilion desktop PC using the 64-bit version of Win7. I have yet to find a Win7 32-bit driver. I do however, have a Vista O/S disk. As things stand, I have to save any image files I wish to print onto a USB memory stick, fire up my laptop which runs Vista and print out my image files via that ... Needless to say this is inconvenient and also time-consuming. I am therefore looking for a PC that can run Win7 AND Vista. Changing to another printer is NOT an option as this dye-sub printer offers better image quality and printing speed (16-bit and less than 20 seconds print output time) that an inkjet printer. Can I run Vista and Win7 on the same PC, do I need to get a 32-bit version of Win7 for better compatibility, and will that run on a PC originally set up to run the 64-bit version?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Have you tried installing the Vista driver on the Windows 7 PC?

As to your other suggestion I assume you are talking about dual booting Vista with Windows 7,if so it does not matter of which version,32 or 64BIT you choose as they will be complete separate from each other. This set up would still require a restart of your PC to use Vista and thereby use your printer. I think it is worth trying my earlier suggestion and try the Vista driver with Windows 7.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

As Chronus says, it is worth trying the Vista driver on W7 if you have one - many of them are compatible as W7 is loosly based on Vista

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Agree with the above - I have a print server for which there isn't any W7 driver but the Vista driver works perfectly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite