We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Removing an XP pc from a Windows Server 2003 network

dikul

Likes # 0

I have a Windows XP Professional laptop which is part of a network that is running on a server using Windows Server 2003. The laptop only uses the server to save files, Office 2007 and the operating system being installed as normal. I am now in a situation where the laptop needs to be totally stand alone. As I did not do the original installation I assume that during the Windows XP setup the option which showed that the laptop was to be part of the server's domain would have been selected.

Now for the question: Would I be able to change this option without reinstalling windows XP (i.e. to allow the laptop to start up without having to login into the server domain, which is the current situation - the laptop starts up into WIndows but then I have to log in before I get to the desktop.). All the files can be backed up and do not pose a problem, but there are a couple of programs on there which will be almost impossible to reinstall if I have to start from scratch.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Assuming that you're logging in via the "Log On to Windows" dialogue box that has a username, password, and Log On To box, you simply select "This Computer" from the drop-down list box. That's designed to by-pass the server's authentication and log you into the laptop locally - providing of course there's a local account setup for you. It's possible however that'll log you in with a different user's profile.

If that works fine, and providing you've got the required permissions, you should be able to leave the domain via Control Panel -> System -> "Computer Name" tab -> "Change" button -> Select "Workgroup" instead of "Domain".

Like this post
dikul

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

You're a star! You are correct of course, it' s been so long since I have needed to do anything but a straight forward login I had forgotten about the login drop down box. Mike

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...