We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CD-RW and DVD-RW problems

Ankermi

Likes # 0

MS XP Home Service Pack 3 AMD athalon 64x2DualCore Processor 6000+ 1.9GB Ram NVIDIA GeoForce 6150SE

AV - AVG

The problem I have is I am unable to copy additional files to either my CD or DVD.

Example. Friday, one folder copied across containing photos. Folder marked as Read Only.

Saturday. Not able to add any additional folders to the drive(s).

I can copy the folders back to the hard drives. Then the Disc(s) will no longer allow more content to be saved. At times messages appear saying disc is full when I know it cannot possibly be.

Have used the M/S copy and send to facilities to no avail. Also CDBurner XP all with the same results.

Have checked properties for both drives and showing working correctly.

Opening the CD Drive and going to Recording this shows a check mark in allow to record but on the DVD drive there is no check mark in the similar box.

MAXTOR STM3250310AS. SONY DVD RW DW D22A TSST comp CDDVDW SH-S223F

Any thoughts?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

When message pops up just press Enter Key, Keep doing that till you get to the End. It's the Result of all the Windows Updates

Like this post
Ankermi

Likes # 0

Well nothing has changed!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

There as to be a settings Problem, most likely in Regedit

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try this fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116/en-gb (scroll down to the XP section) Delete the Upper and Lower Filters in the Registry.

Like this post
Ankermi

Likes # 0

Lotvic, thanks for the link. Have run it. (verified by a 2nd member of family with the same results).

There are no upper or lower filters showing in the right hand pane.

Have got

(Default) REG_SZ DVD/CD Rom Drives Class REG-SX CDRom

plus a few other items not to do with DVD/CD

What do I do next please?

No.1 side "Sue" works ok to use Windows to copy to both drives. When on the disc(s) it can be sent back to hard drive ok.

No.2 side "Alan" has the problems. You cannot use Windows to copy to the drives. But when using CDBurner XP this will copy to the drives ok.

Windows therefore has a problem on Alan's side.

Have now also tried opening a Guest account and creating a new user's account when the same problems arises as with "Alan".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger