We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why should I not buy an iPad?

stlucia2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've been a happy Android user for several years now, with my HTC Desire phone. I'm now looking for a tablet computer, and initially thought I'd go for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, partly because it runs Android, which I'm used to, and partly because it gives Apple a good run for the money.

But, with the new Apple iPad having such a better screen resolution than all the opposition (twice as many pixes in each direction), I'm thinking I should go for it instead. Any good reason why I shouldn't? My main uses will be reading books via Kindle, managing my email via WiFi, playing Angry Birds, and mapping. Is the mapping that comes with iPad as good as, or better than Google's that I get on my phone, and does the WiFi only version not have GPS? Lack of GPS would be a show-stopper for me, which would force me to buy the "cellular" version if I were to go for the iPad.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Currently the iPad uses Google Maps but that will change iOS6 which will bring its own Apple Maps app which is reputedly as good. I suspect that Google Maps will be still available as an app though.

Wifi only version does not have GPS.

As far as I am concerned it is the best tablet.

Suggest you go into a store and have a play with one.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

According to the Dixons Heathrow ads (I'll be travelling soon, and hope to buy duty-free), the new iPad currently uses iOS4. Do Apple automatically update the iOS, or are you stuck with whichever version it comes with?

Another question, what does "Assisted GPS" mean? Does it mean that GPS only works if one's using 3G, or will it work if I don't mount a SIM card (or switch off 3G)?

Lastly, the Apple Store ad says "...your iPad will work only with the carrier you choose...". Does this mean there's no such thing as a SIM-free version of the 3G (or is it 4G?) iPad, and I would get locked-in to a carrier?

Sorry about all the questions, but Apple is a mystery to me at the moment.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The current iPads come with iOS 5 with 6 due this month and to date each update has been available for each version of iPad.

All 3G iPads are SIM free and unlocked when bought from the Apple Store although they offer SIMs from 4 providers if you want to buy from them.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Assisted GPS means it needs a cell or wifi connection to work.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thankyou for the help.

For my needs I'm coming to the conclusion that Samsung is the best value for money, for to get GPS with an iPad I've got to get 3G, which I don't otherwise need. Pity about all those extra pixels though!

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Sorry guys, I'm still struggling with terminology:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 comes with "A-GPS". According to Wikipedia, that means it has GPS capability that's somehow enhanced to make it more reliable where satellite visibility is patchy.

I just want to be sure that Samsung don't mean something different by that term -- e.g. it calculates position from cell masts alone, and doesn't actually have a satellite GPS unit.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I prefer to go Samsung's site and check the specs rather than rely on Wikipedia. The Samsung Galaxy Tab does indeed have AGPS = Assisted GPS.

What is AGPS

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Get the iPad - nothing can touch it at the moment. I did a great deal of research before deciding, and I am sure I made the right decision in getting my iPad.

This market sector is very 'hot' at the moment - there is almost certainly going to be an iPad 'Mini' launch before the end of the year,and Amazon will announce a new Kindle Fire this week. We can expect all kinds of activity in the market before the end of the year, but for now the iPad is still the clear leader.

AGPS basically works by hiving off a lot of the work to a remote server, so your device doesn't have the overhead. The drawback is that the server can't use standby satellite signals.

Go for the iPad - I'm sure you won't regret it.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

FE

Get the iPad - nothing can touch it at the moment. I did a great deal of research before deciding, and I am sure I made the right decision in getting my iPad.

I could make a similar statement about the Samsung Galaxy 10.0 - I equally have no regrets about buying it and I am sure that I made the right decision in buying it.

For a comparison take a look at this website from DeviceGuru,

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thanks for that link Woolwell, it's more-definite (to my suspicious mind) than what I found on Wiki.

FE, I'm aware of your liking for the iPad from my previous research, and I must say the screen specification attracts me. But no GPS unless I buy the 3G/4G model is the killer from my point of view.

Thanks for all the input. I've made up my mind now, it's going to be the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...