We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help on restoring windows mail

Dansmith

Likes # 0

Windows mail help!

Hi guys I'm new here so please be gentle ;-)

Quick background, I had my virgin broadband upgraded from 10mb to 60 mb with the virgin super hub

To cut a long story short, it was even slower & when I rang virgin today to explain the situation they put me through an external overseas call centre who re booted my pc despite me telling them not to.

This damaged my pc which now keeps rebooting! The guy at the pc repair shop said they can save all my data, documents item on desktop and my windows mail and has done so on a USB stick.

My question is how do I restore my windows mail from the USB stick on my new computer or when my computer is fixed as apparently it's not the same as opening up a saved word doc.

Any tips or suggestions will really help as I'm bricking it, as I have important emails.

Thanks in advance and apologies on the dumb question ;-)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Open Windows Mail and top left, if I remember, click the icon and select import messages then select browse. Do this with the USB flash drive connected. You should be able to do the same with your contacts usually as .CSV files.

Like this post
Dansmith

Likes # 0

Hi rdave13:-)

I appreciate the reply, I'm not really fussed about the contacts as I have them on another email address, its just the inbox, sent items and folders I have which are imporant & I need back.

If I have to buy a new computer will I need to download windows mail and then do as you suggested?

Thank You :-)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You shouldn't have to buy a new pc.

Here's a Guide, with screenshots ClickHere Option Two, How to Import (Restore) Messages

Like this post
Dansmith

Likes # 0

Hey lotvic :-)

That really helps. So is it just a case of selecting the file and importing my windows mail messages ie sent items, folders, inbox etc?

Just scared I won't get it back.

Thank you

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

To reassure yourself that you won't/can't lose any, Copy the contents of the usb stick to a new folder you make on your pc's desktop (leaving the original copy on usb stick).

Practice importing to a new Mail account created specially for practice (you can do this as many times as you like till you feel confidant about the procedure)

Like this post
Dansmith

Likes # 0

Wow that's a neat trick! So copy the windows mail content on to a new folder on desktop and import this to windows mail? Is this correct?

I can only download windows mail once right?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"I can only download windows mail once right?"

I don't know what you mean by that.

Windows Mail comes with/is part of Vista.

As you requested help for Windows Mail, I presumed your op sys is Vista.

Is is Windows Mail or is it Windows Live Mail you were using? (Windows Live Mail is the one that you can download)

Like this post
Dansmith

Likes # 0

Yes I mean windows mail:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/90298-windows-mail-messages.html 

This is what you mean, correct?;-)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes, Windows Mail is part of Vista and does not require to be downloaded.

so what is your problem?

Like this post
Dansmith

Likes # 0

Sorry, what I meant was, if I need to buy a new computer I will need to download mail and follow the above steps?

If the computer is repairable then mail will already be on there with all my emails so I will not need to restore anything from the back up, correct?

Hope this makes sense.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow