We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Repeated ‘Installing update 1 of 6’

past it

Likes # 0

I am using Windows XP Home Edition.

Every time I switch off my computer the ‘Installing update 1 of 6’ notice comes up telling me not to switch off, that it will happen automatically when update is finished. This takes about 20 mins. I have tried going through this procedure, letting it switch off, then immediately switching back on again, then straight away turning off but still the notice. I accept that sometimes I expect this to happen with genuine updates, but not always 1 of 6, and not every time. Any advice to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

sounds as if the first update is corrupted

Do a system restore to a time before the attempted update then let windows re-download the update and reinstall.

Like this post
past it

Likes # 0

Sorry to be so long coming back on your suggestion Fruit Bat. However, I am a little bothered about restoring my system as you suggest, because on looking back it seems this problem started just over two months ago just after I had a new DVD rewriter installed. I had always had a DVD player but it packed up, hence a new one. I contacted the person who installed it for me and told him my problem, but he insisted it was nothing he had done. He did install a couple of other programs - I think VLC media player was one (because I believe Windows Media Player was not compatible (or maybe he thought not so good) with this New DVD, and I think the other was Nero because he said it was better for burning. Because of the new software he installed I am reluctant to go back and do a System Restore to before that date in case I loose what he put on. I cannot risk that happening with my limited knowledge. At least I can play and copy a DVD. Any other guidance you might have would be appreciated

past it

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

See if anything here helps

if not then

Nero 9 free here

VLC here

once you have the problem sorted you can download and reinstall them.

Like this post
past it

Likes # 0

Dear Fruit Bat

Thank you for giving me the links for Microsoft ‘Fix It’ etc. I tried everything that was suggested but still the problem (repeating updates 1 to 6 when I ‘Turn Off’) was not solved, but I think I have found a way round it. When I shut down, instead of clicking on ‘Turn Off’ below it is a link with two options which says Click Turn Off to install important updates and turn off your computer and Click here to turn off without installing updates so I now use this link all the time instead. I am now reviewing my Microsoft update history every day, and so far it shows in the 'Status' column next to the appropiate date that the updates (always 6)succeeded. I am also advised that my computer is set to receive security & critical updates automatically and also that my Automatic Updates are turned ON, so even though there is something not quite right, I am happy to carry on this way for the time hoping it will not cause any trouble. Because of this problem, I now have much more confidence to try many more things to understand about how a computer works, so thank you again for responding to my question.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback