We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External HDD recognised but will not open

Boldieshouse

Likes # 0

I have a Fujitsu Siemens external hard drive Storagebird 35EV840. When I plug the drive into the computer Windows say drive requires formatting, I click cancel the go into drives and the computer recognises it as a mass storage device but when try and open it I get G:\ is not accessable. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.I have tried this on different computers and none of them can open device. I have quite a lot of data on the device and do not want to lose it. Is there anything I can do to recover my data and fix the drive?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You can try the Free program http://www.easeus.com/resource/external-hard-drive-not-formatted.htm to recover your data.

(not used the above, but I do use the free easeus Partition Mananger and that is excellent)

It sounds as if the ext HD has become corrupted, probably caused by switching it off while indexing files were still being written to it. Your data should still be there though.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Zero Assumption is another good tool for recovering a drive

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites