We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Power line networking

woody

Likes # 0

I have an external light connected to mains power. I would like to add CCTV. Power is already in place so only problem is getting data from CCTV to PC. Do not fancy wireless - because of distance and number of walls. The newish "Powerline" idea - two or more plugs in different locations seems ok. Do they do a similar idea but with a junction box? This would be inserted near the CCTV /light etc and transmit data over the power line as the older plugs do at the moment.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

is the cctv recorder ethernet able? run a ethernet cable from the camera back indoors to the nearest socket

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

If i do that i might as well go all the way to the PC/recorder.The only diff would be many mtrs of data cable.I can instal a new socket and use powerline plugs but i think soon,if not now,a box will be available.I see they do a power socket with its own network sockets.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If you have Ethernet enabled camera and pc/recorder then yes. It mainly depends on the output from the camera, if it has the phono type output of composite video then no, you would need one of these.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote