We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade to Windows 8 Question

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

Thinking of upgrading to W/8 when it comes out soon.

Just the one question regarding back to factory settings.I had the restore to factory settings on my computer when I bought it will this still be on my computer if I upgrade to W8 and if so will it send me back to W/7 if I have to use it at any time.

I would imagine it would stay where it was and put me back to W/7 if I used it.just thought that I should ask just to make sure.

• Tags:
  • w8
Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Press F8 as it boots and it should give you access to a tools "menu" this then allows a full restore usually from DVDs you made or an image in a hidden partition on the hard drive. to return you to W7.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

It will be easy if you kept a copy DVD when you first had your PC.BUT if the copy is on the same HDD as you put win8 you could end up with no win7 or drivers on your PC .

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

It has a partitioned and shows as recovery D 29Gb.

So assuming that will stay and only the new W/8 upgrade would show on C drive instead of W/7.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Should have said thinking of the download upgrade which will only cost about £25.00.

Not sure if that installs over the top of W/7 or not.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Provided the Windows 8 installer sticks to the 'C' partition all will be well - the restore partition will still be there, and all the Windows 7 restore files will be intact.

Like this post  
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Ok Just the information that I was looking for.Thanks.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I am assuming that you have tried Windows 8 before?

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Don't forget that if you do go restore to Win7 it will be as when you purchased machine. If you are happy with your current set-up and want to upgrade with the option of going back if you don't like Win8 then perhaps the best thing would be to invest in a copy of Acronis and an external hard drive to create a back-up that would enable you to restore with all your current programs and settings.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Chronus

No never tried it.I know you did at one time but never heard how you got on.

canarieslover

Was just thinking of using the factory restore as back up in case of problems.

Not got a lot on this computer so not worried about any other back ups.

No use paying out £25 or whatever it is for W/8 and also have to pay £30-£40 for Acronis.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

If you have not tried win8 and by the look of your repies you have not read much about it - why not try the free win8?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more