We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Access the BIOS

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I have a new twin screen laptop, which obviously has a virtual, on screen, keyboard.

Since this does not appear until after boot up, how on earth do I hit F2 while the logo is showing to access the BIOS, other than by fitting an external keyboard?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Power on the device by pressing the Power button and the Windows button at the same time. That will display the BIOS boot. then hit F2

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

What Windows button?

There's no keyboard until boot up.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Don't you get a pre-boot keyboard?

Iconia Dual Screen Tablet, the manual under 'Expanding through options' - 'BIOS utility' says:

*To activate the BIOS utility, press F2 during the POST; while the computer logo and pre-boot keyboard are displayed*

Maybe it's the 'Keyboard button' Press to call up Virtual Keyboard or perform other functions (please refer to The keyboard button on page 47)

The keyboard button, located on the left-hand hinge, can be used to perform a variety of functions

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Does it not have a normal keypad on it that can be activated.

I had to use a keyboard with a Ps2 fitting on it to get into the bios on my daughters computer as the one with the USB fitting would not work.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've had a look at the manual - which isn't a lot of use. But it states "During startup when the Acer logo shows and the virtual keyboard is displayed, tap the key to enter BIOS Setup, where you can set system parameters.". This seems to indicate that the virtual keyboard is available during the boot sequence.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Jock1e - no it doesn't have a normal keyboard.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell did not realise that.

maybe the best bet would be to contact Acer by e-mail or phone.maybe even download the manual from their site.

Acer.

http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/support

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thanks all.

The keyboard does flash up during the boot sequence, but literally flashes up, for something under a second.

I have now managed to enter the BIOS, by a combination of solutions suggested here - by pressing the Power button while pressing the LH hinge button.

This brings up a recovery screen, with the keyboard, and on then continuing the boot it is possible to use F2.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Good news.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes