We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 Network Problem

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

My main PC is Windows 7 pro, with a USB connected Brother printer. My other, is an XP machine working through homeplugs in the workshop. I had set this up to be networked and printing to the Brother printer was fine. It suddenly stopped printing – looking at the W7 Control Panel, Network and Sharing centre, Change Advanced Sharing settings, it is set to Turn Off Network Discovery and Turn Off File and Printer Sharing. I can click ‘turn on’ and then ‘save Changes’, but when I go back to check they’re both at Off again.

Google seems to suggest a repair install of the OS. Wondering if anyone has other thoughts before I do that.

Thanks.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Trying going into start - typing Services - then scrolling down to see if Server is still enabled. Server Services may, for some reasons, have become disabled.

If the problem persists you could try a system restore.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks again, difarn. services on auto and are running. will try a system restore and report back (have tried sfc /scannow, which found no corrupt files).

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Restore did not help. I then turned off Windows firewall and the file and printer sharing is now enabled! So, it's a problem with the firewall (which I want on), but I don't know what yet.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Finding a thread on Google on this subject, I've found that under Inbound Rule Wizard in firewall, the predefined Rules box is greyed out. The thread suggestion was that this could be caused by a virus. My problem is how to get it back, as I can't follow the thread solution shown here, so perhaps a repair is the only option?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Apparently this can also be turned off by another security suite that also includes a firewall.

This article may interest you and explains how to reactivate - I am assuming that there is text that is greyed out in the boxes for reactivating. You say that your Rules box is greyed out - is this empty?

You could try running the free malwarebytes to see if there was a virus.

This provided a solution on one forum:-

Go to windows firewall in control panel

On left side,click on Advanced settings

On right pane,click on Diagnose/Repair

Select shared folders and home group and troubleshoot it.If windows doesnt find any issues with them

You may have to restore default policy of your firewall

Click on Restore default policy

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks difarn. People round tonight, so will give it a go in the morning.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmm - on the right track -

'Windows firewall is incorrectly configured'. After attempted repairs 'windows could not etc etc' and 'could't restore default policy'.

So, does look like a corrucpted registry. Think I'll have to bite the bullet and try a repair install (which I have not done before on W7).

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try setting the firewall settings to default, click here

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave. Tried that but no change. think I may have to think again about a repair install - info I found suggests I can't do that if the OS was preinstalled (OEM), even though i have a W7 DVD. Problem with the COA apparemtly. Any thoughts?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Before going down the repair route have a look at the free version of Sphinx Firewall control. Not the portable one. When I ran it, it gave some control over what programs could do or not. Worth trying out.

Have you ran sfc/scannow a few times? That could also help. Sometimes repair (reinstalling over the top) can cause more problems but if it's the last resort then you'll have to consider it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September